Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 1st time in years of doing electrical/heating/cooling that I have been stumped. I recently bought a Coleman Spectrum Model 208 hot tub. You can wire it 240 or 110. I wired it 240 through a GFCI diconnect then into the main panel. There is 2 lights on the control panel of the hot tub that have to be on in order for the hot tub to be in normal operation. It states if the left light is off and right is on there is a polarity wiring issue. It then says if the left light is on and right is off the white neutral wire is not connected. If both lights are off there is no power to the unit. When turning on it shows the right light off stating the white wire is not hooked up. I vaildated the wiring in the control panel to the scematics and validated the breaker box as well. Neutral is hooked up through the GFCI, to the Neutral bus bar, and to the neutral bus in the main panel. Any idea's what else would cause this fault.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,474 Posts
This is the 1st time in years of doing electrical/heating/cooling that I have been stumped. I recently bought a Coleman Spectrum Model 208 hot tub. You can wire it 240 or 110. I wired it 240 through a GFCI diconnect then into the main panel. There is 2 lights on the control panel of the hot tub that have to be on in order for the hot tub to be in normal operation. It states if the left light is off and right is on there is a polarity wiring issue. It then says if the left light is on and right is off the white neutral wire is not connected. If both lights are off there is no power to the unit. When turning on it shows the right light off stating the white wire is not hooked up. I vaildated the wiring in the control panel to the scematics and validated the breaker box as well. Neutral is hooked up through the GFCI, to the Neutral bus bar, and to the neutral bus in the main panel. Any idea's what else would cause this fault.
Is there a switch that you set for 120V & 240V, or is it just different terminals for each?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the neutral from the GFCI connected to the buss and the neutral from the tub connected to the neutral lug of the GFCI?

Yes I do have it wired that way currently. I may have to bypass it and try wiring directly to a 2 pole breaker as discussed in this thread but something gives me the feeling it won't work. This is very strange.

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Yes I do have it wired that way currently. I may have to bypass it and try wiring directly to a 2 pole breaker as discussed in this thread but something gives me the feeling it won't work. This is very strange.
Dip switch issue? Double check circuit board dip switch configuration. Might have bumped it changing the correct setting. The proper order should be listed in the manual.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
I looked up the owners manual PDF online and I don't see an option for 120v hookup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked up the owners manual PDF online and I don't see an option for 120v hookup.

My Model is the 208B Jade Model. Spectrum. The owners manual has the Spectrum and Horizon Model in it. It is capable of being wired 120 volt as well. You have to move 1 leg of the 240 volt to another post and change a dip switch from 50amp to 30 amp for 120 volt mode. I validated the dip switch was correct and everything. I am almost wondering if there is something wrong with the control board.

·
Slave to the grind
623 Posts
If the tub can be wired 240V, not 120/240V, take the neutral from the tub and stick it on the neutral bar, not the breaker. Leave the white wire from the breaker landed on the neutral bar.

·
Slave to the grind
623 Posts
If the tub can be wired 240V, not 120/240V, take the neutral from the tub and stick it on the neutral bar, not the breaker. Leave the white wire from the breaker landed on the neutral bar.
I kind of misspoke....if the unit can be wired straight 240V...there will be no neutral to the tub.

·
Registered
420 Posts
hawkeyes1974 said:
Are you sure when it's wired for 240 it needs a neutral? Some spas are just 240 2 wire plus ground.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.