Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a favor freebie job for another contractor. Made the mistake of pre-running my 50A circuit before tub arrived. Had to pull out about 35' run of #6 copper and 50A GFCI to replace with wiring in pick. Anyone ever seen a tub wired with two circuits?

Attachments

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
....... Anyone ever seen a tub wired with two circuits?
Plenty of times. But you can install a panel with two breakers in it, can't you.... 30a 2-pole and 20a-1 pole GFCIs?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
480sparky said:
Plenty of times. But you can install a panel with two breakers in it, can't you.... 30a 2-pole and 20a-1 pole GFCIs?
Yup that's what I did. Bottom line is I jumped the gun and had to rip out part of what I already installed. Making a free job cost me even more.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Yup that's what I did. Bottom line is I jumped the gun and had to rip out part of what I already installed. Making a free job cost me even more.
What did you have to rip out? Install a 3R panel with two breakers in it for shutting off the whirlypool. Leave the feeder in place.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
480sparky said:
What did you have to rip out? Install a 3R panel with two breakers in it for shutting off the whirlypool. Leave the feeder in place.
I ran a circuit from house panel to a 50A GFCI disconnect. Then pulled the wire to we're the tub was going to be set. I had to pull out the #6 from the GFCI to the tub and replace the 50A GFCI with a 4 ckt sub panel with a 30 an 20A GFCI.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
480sparky said:
What happened to the panel that came with it?
No idea. This tub was relocated from another residence. Disconnected by someone else.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I ran a circuit from house panel to a 50A GFCI disconnect. Then pulled the wire to we're the tub was going to be set. I had to pull out the #6 from the GFCI to the tub and replace the 50A GFCI with a 4 ckt sub panel with a 30 an 20A GFCI.
:no:...your powering the hot tub sub panel with a 50A branch circuit

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
dawgs said:
Doing a favor freebie job for another contractor. Made the mistake of pre-running my 50A circuit before tub arrived. Had to pull out about 35' run of #6 copper and 50A GFCI to replace with wiring in pick. Anyone ever seen a tub wired with two circuits?
#10 ground between the panel and tub?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
#10 ? NYS Supplemental applies to us we must bond and ground #8 or larger here....

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
That particular model incorporates stab lock connections i've seen fail here repeatedly dawgs.

~CS~

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
chicken steve said:
That particular model incorporates stab lock connections i've seen fail here repeatedly dawgs.

~CS~
Yup it does. Anyone know if there are other brands that are split circuit like this one? We don't do resi work so I've only done about a half dozen tubs. One being my own, so not a whole lot of experience with them.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
Looks like a hot springs tub to me.

They used to come with a GE sub panel, they had lots of problems with the breakers so they switched to siemans.

Reactions: dawgs
1 - 20 of 22 Posts