Electrician Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a job today that had a service just for the water meter..this was a residential home with a 100 amp main and a hot water meter with a a fused disconnect..the disconnect is damaged and I have to replace it.. What is the best way to go about this? I was thinking just thinking to replace it with a service rated enclosure and 30 amp breaker and call it a day..the meter looks like one of those smart off/ on peak meters..

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Old New Jersey stuff

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
I looked at a job today that had a service just for the water meter..this was a residential home with a 100 amp main and a hot water meter with a a fused disconnect..the disconnect is damaged and I have to replace it.. What is the best way to go about this? I was thinking just thinking to replace it with a service rated enclosure and 30 amp breaker and call it a day..the meter looks like one of those smart off/ on peak meters..
Why would you need to heat hot water?:001_huh:

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
Around here that used to be a thing when people had electric heat. The recs billed it at different rates. I think some if them only had a water heater also since that was considered electric heat.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Not sure where you're located but PECO used to offer a discounted rate on your water heater. They no longer do this. That 2nd meter can probably go away and you can just land your wire in the main panel.

·
Super Moderator
21,906 Posts
I have never seen a water heater that was metered as a separate service. Usually there is a breaker that feeds the meter and the the meter feeds a diso at the water heater,

The power company can control the wh during high demand and the customers gets a small rebate every month

Reactions: pete87

·
Jesus Scott
9,383 Posts
Not sure where you're located but PECO used to offer a discounted rate on your water heater. They no longer do this. That 2nd meter can probably go away and you can just land your wire in the main panel.
Very common around here. I don't know of any that are still in use as far as separate billing goes. I always do the same... Remove the extra meter and land circuit in panel.

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
I have one meter for the electric water heater and one for the rest of the house. Not sure how much savings there is after you pay for the extra meter.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
electricmanscott said:
Very common around here. I don't know of any that are still in use as far as separate billing goes. I always do the same... Remove the extra meter and land circuit in panel.
They only have 100 amp main..everything is electric in the house..dryer , range , ac, etc... I don't know if it's going to trip the main...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts