Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to give a price to a general contractor for a complete house re wire job from knob and tube. There are no prints for it. Should I make my own prints and submit them with the bid to show exactly what is included in my price? Then price according to the opening?

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I'm going to give a price to a general contractor for a complete house re wire job from knob and tube. There are no prints for it. Should I make my own prints and submit them with the bid to show exactly what is included in my price? Then price according to the opening?
Mmmm,, no.

You should write out what is included and what is not.

Take each task and put a time on it to get the number of man hours it will take, then add up all the stock, mark it up.

Add it all up, and give a grand total price with payment terms.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something like this?
200 amp overhead service with 24 space panel
6 20 amp ckts
6 15 amp ckts
2 30 amp ckts
20 receptacles
6 single pole switches
4 120 volt smoke detectors
8 6" led recessed lights
2 dimmers

Basically show the quantity and device/task with 1 total price?

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
You're going to bid a knob and tube rewire??? Do you have an x-ray machine to see if theirs fire blocks in the stud cavities? I might give someone an estimate but I don't think I'd want to take the chance bidding on something like this. Not unless they're going to gut the house.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, forgot to mention it is a gut job. I guess I will go by code for receptacle and smoke detector locations and then talk with the home owner/general about lighting and switch locations. The kitchen will be done at a later time, waiting on cabinets, so I will have to find a way to feed it from the new panel temporarily.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
I would include everything that Im including in my bid. Exactly. Every recep, switch, box, feet of wire, etc.

If you dont want to get that detailed I would write each outlet as an assembly. Which might include 15' of wire, a box, a receptacle. In the bid write somewhere what assembly means, like a general description of it.

I would include a small paragraph stating what I was not suppling or doing. Lightbulbs and lighting fixtures to be provided by customer, etc.

I would do a take off of my own mental prints and price the job accordingly. After you think you have your price mark it up 25%. Gives you some room.

Dont forget demo if youre doing it.

·
Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
Something like this?
200 amp overhead service with 24 space panel
6 20 amp ckts
6 15 amp ckts
2 30 amp ckts
20 receptacles
6 single pole switches
4 120 volt smoke detectors
8 6" led recessed lights
2 dimmers

Basically show the quantity and device/task with 1 total price?
This is what I would do.
Do a walk-thru and make notes of every room. Then do your take-off from those notes, but only give them the quantities. I would NOT do an as built plan for them that they can bring to anyone else so they can easily bid from it.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
This is what I would do.
Do a walk-thru and make notes of every room. Then do your take-off from those notes, but only give them the quantities. I would NOT do an as built plan for them that they can bring to anyone else so they can easily bid from it.
HA! I would have never thought about another EC using it to bid against you, pretty smart. I'm just to lazy to go to the trouble of doing something like making a set of as-built plans, so I would've never run into that. :laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.