Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer that wants an outlet for a power vent water heater that he plans on having installed in the center of an unfinished basement with no framing members around the heater.

I was going to just mount a 1900 box on the ceiling joist above the old water heater, totally guessing where the cordset might be since the outlet will be installed way before the heater replacement.

For some reason the customer has it in his mind that having the outlet in the ceiling is unacceptable. I am hesitant myself because I have no idea of location of the cord set either.

So I am trying to figure out another simple way to achieve this short of framing a wall off to the side!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My carpentry skills suck. Do I need to cripple a second board to another joist if I do that? Im assuming just having a board hanging down is not adequate.

ps- this is EMT.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
My carpentry skills suck. Do I need to cripple a second board to another joist if I do that? Im assuming just having a board hanging down is not adequate.

ps- this is EMT.
Depends on how far down you are going to extend the 2x4. If its only coming down a couple of feet (which would seem to be more than enough for most power vent water heaters I see) you won't need any additional support.

If you plan on extending to the floor I would probably switch gears and use uni-strut with a floor anchor.

Pete

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
typically how long are the cords?
do some or all power vents require a disconnect? I assume its per manufacture.

It might be better to have the guy install the heater first, temporarily use an extension and then come back so I don't have to guess and will be able to see the manufacture recomendations..... I don't think I will have that luxury though.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
Contact your favorite nail-bender. Ask how much a couple of studs and a top and bottom plates will cost. Add cost to electrical estimate.

Turnkey operation. HO is happy. You are happy. Wood butcher is happy. Win-win-win scenario.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,505 Posts
I usually install the receptacle above the water heater on the back wall just at the outer edge of the heater so it is easily reached.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts

ps- this is EMT.
One cut with a skil saw ain't rocket science, I bet you can figure it out. That's what I would do, anyway.

·
village idiot
329 Posts
The cords are quite long. A good 6 ft usually. Unless it's a really deep basement, you have a whole lot of wiggle room with power vent cords. Also, you are asking about where to place the receptacle and then asking if you need a disconnect? Isn't that sort of redundant?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I like the strut anchor idea but make it round so the customer can pole dance if its in the wrong location.... Jk
Use the 2x4 method one vertical and a block (usually PT) at the bottom to nail it too.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, you are asking about where to place the receptacle and then asking if you need a disconnect? Isn't that sort of redundant?
Why yes it is. However, some of the manufactures call for an additional disconnect even if your using plug/cord and who am I to go against a manufactures instructions?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.