Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have been a lurker here along time and recently decided i wanted go for a skilled trades job specifically as an electrician. I was up in Toronto for work so i took a pre-apprenticeship program but due to hating the city and not feeling to hot about the JAC route i moved back to London where my family is
Basically how bad is Ontario for finding someone to take me on as an apprentice, I have my owns tools and truck as i work construction and have hit up mostly smaller shops when I have a shred of spare time, I have avoided JMR though because I'm iffy about the CLAC.

If any one from around London knows, is it any better than it looks around here?and if any one from THE PEG is reading this how is it out there because i would move to Manitoba as i have many friends and family out there as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Right now as far as I know London is pretty dead. I'm just finishing up a job and not sure whats on the books for next week. Were pricing a ton of stuff but everyone else is too so its all low ball so no ones getting raises for a while I'm told. I actually worked for jmr for a year and its not as bad as everyone says. The Clac is a waste of money and does absolutely nothing for you but all the guys were good that I met but it was quite the party out on the road. I gained 60 pounds in a year from beer and bar food and ended up realizing pretty quick i liked sleeping in my own bed at night and not some flea bag motel. If your really looking for an apprenticeship I would look to smaller company's and at least get signed up and go from there. Most of the big company's I have worked for seem to take already signed up apprentices but not to many green guys.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
KyleC said:
Hi i have been a lurker here along time and recently decided i wanted go for a skilled trades job specifically as an electrician. I was up in Toronto for work so i took a pre-apprenticeship program but due to hating the city and not feeling to hot about the JAC route i moved back to London where my family is . Basically how bad is Ontario for finding someone to take me on as an apprentice, I have my owns tools and truck as i work construction and have hit up mostly smaller shops when I have a shred of spare time, I have avoided JMR though because I'm iffy about the CLAC. If any one from around London knows, is it any better than it looks around here?and if any one from THE PEG is reading this how is it out there because i would move to Manitoba as i have many friends and family out there as well.
You could try some of the smaller shops in smaller towns and villages like tillsonburg, Simcoe .
Bit of a commute but not that bad really.
No traffic jams like TO

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now as far as I know London is pretty dead. I'm just finishing up a job and not sure whats on the books for next week. Were pricing a ton of stuff but everyone else is too so its all low ball so no ones getting raises for a while I'm told. I actually worked for jmr for a year and its not as bad as everyone says. The Clac is a waste of money and does absolutely nothing for you but all the guys were good that I met but it was quite the party out on the road. I gained 60 pounds in a year from beer and bar food and ended up realizing pretty quick i liked sleeping in my own bed at night and not some flea bag motel. If your really looking for an apprenticeship I would look to smaller company's and at least get signed up and go from there. Most of the big company's I have worked for seem to take already signed up apprentices but not to many green guys.
i guess im a green guy to electrical but I have been working in residential sector construction for 2 1/2 yrs now. would you recommend jmr as away fro someone to get they're foot in the door and what do they look for in potential hire's
(reason im interested in jmr is i live close to exeter which is where i believe they're main office is)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could try some of the smaller shops in smaller towns and villages like tillsonburg, Simcoe .
Bit of a commute but not that bad really.
No traffic jams like TO
problem is i live in the country and right smack in the center of the snow belt so a long commute unless i move would be bad in the winter

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can try JMR but I'm not sure if they are taking anyone and if you do get in you'll be sent to Thunder bar or sault ste marie which wouldnt be too bad in the summer but winter would suck. There is Brad Baker in Exeter, Arcon,gs,turnay,pro, Ibew local 120 are all London too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can try JMR but I'm not sure if they are taking anyone and if you do get in you'll be sent to Thunder bar or sault ste marie which wouldnt be too bad in the summer but winter would suck. There is Brad Baker in Exeter, Arcon,gs,turnay,pro, Ibew local 120 are all London too.
I check ibew 120 site constantly to see if they're having an intake or not .
could you point me towards a good resource besides a phone book to find mid size contractors? and would you recommend against showing up at they're office before work to hand in a resume/application or should i call because i tried a mixture off both and neither has worked so far.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would show up and hand out resumes but don't go super early most are busy telling guys what to do and where to go for the day. As for finding a job look on kijiji too just be careful and if it seems shady it may be so make sure your going to get paid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would show up and hand out resumes but don't go super early most are busy telling guys what to do and where to go for the day. As for finding a job look on kijiji too just be careful and if it seems shady it may be so make sure your going to get paid.
thank you for helping, reconfirmed what i thought i should do looks like im gonna have to start firing off some resumes:)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hi i have been a lurker here along time and recently decided i wanted go for a skilled trades job specifically as an electrician. I was up in Toronto for work so i took a pre-apprenticeship program but due to hating the city and not feeling to hot about the JAC route i moved back to London where my family is
Basically how bad is Ontario for finding someone to take me on as an apprentice, I have my owns tools and truck as i work construction and have hit up mostly smaller shops when I have a shred of spare time, I have avoided JMR though because I'm iffy about the CLAC.

If any one from around London knows, is it any better than it looks around here?and if any one from THE PEG is reading this how is it out there because i would move to Manitoba as i have many friends and family out there as well.
I here JMR is Ok, lots og guys I know like it there.
I worked in london most of my electrical career.
You could learn alot there,as they do some of the bigger jobs.
They normaly have lots of work.
Who cares if you work for a CLAC, it is beter than no union at all.
You need to start some where. I have work for most of the companies in london.
CLAC is big out west.
Take what you can,
And local 120 is really hard to get into.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I here JMR is Ok, lots og guys I know like it there.
I worked in london most of my electrical career.
You could learn alot there,as they do some of the bigger jobs.
They normaly have lots of work.
Who cares if you work for a CLAC, it is beter than no union at all.
You need to start some where. I have work for most of the companies in london.
CLAC is big out west.
Take what you can,
And local 120 is really hard to get into.
thanks for the input Im gonna go around and apply at jmr still because i need something and wouldn't mind traveling far for work if i so had too and i heard 120 was hard to get into would think though that they would want lots fresh blood (as in more dues).

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have never been out of work ,"When I lived in london".
There are more e.cs there then Toronto.

Reactions: KyleC

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have never been out of work ,"When I lived in london".
There are more e.cs there then Toronto.
is the Toronto local 353 harder than local 120 to get into so more master start a business here? here btw how many non union shops are there compared to union shops around 50/50?

·
Registered
714 Posts
is the Toronto local 353 harder than local 120 to get into so more master start a business here? here btw how many non union shops are there compared to union shops around 50/50?
They all have large lists.
try Dial one Wolfedale, RA barns, Rob Collins "Godrich", Turnay, Arcon, pro,
just go through the phone book.

·
Registered
714 Posts
problem is i live in the country and right smack in the center of the snow belt so a long commute unless i move would be bad in the winter
Try living in up on the Bruce.lol
The snow goes sidways.

·
Registered
313 Posts

i live in toronto, seems pretty dead right now, Ive sent oiut close to 70 resumes, I'm a 3rd term, ive got hand/power tools etc, but seems like no one is hiring, and if they do..they only wanna pay $14 an hour for a 3rd term

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i live in toronto, seems pretty dead right now, Ive sent oiut close to 70 resumes, I'm a 3rd term, ive got hand/power tools etc, but seems like no one is hiring, and if they do..they only wanna pay $14 an hour for a 3rd term
Is it really that bad there i would think with all new construction downtown there would be lots of work i guess though that the companies winning those large contracts are all the same large few

1 - 19 of 19 Posts