Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normal if I saw this I might just turn my back and walk away but this happens to be one of my better customers. This building has been through numerous remodels and at one point a fascia wall was built about 16" in front off this 24X16X4 can above a panel. the pictures could have been better, the camera is in front of the panel pointing up and the white bar you see at the top of the first picture is the top of the door jam entering the electrical closet. there is a stucco wall about 16" in front of the can.

The hackery is strong here. I was called to replace a timeclock with a photocell because the guy in charge of adjusting dusk and dawn isn't doing his job.

What I found was both 110 fixtures and 220v HID fixtures wired off of the TC101... problem you say? no problem, we only switch one leg to the HIDs and the lights go off when when the TC101 opens :eek:

It gets better, not only are the loads for the HIDs not on the same breaker, they are not even on the same side of the panel :thumbup:

the Lighting circuit is all being fixed with a contactor and breaker rearrangement but I am worried about the clearance in front of the can.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Normal if I saw this I might just turn my back and walk away but this happens to be one of my better customers. This building has been through numerous remodels and at one point a fascia wall was built about 16" in front off this 24X16X4 can above a panel. the pictures could have been better, the camera is in front of the panel pointing up and the white bar you see at the top of the first picture is the top of the door jam entering the electrical closet. there is a stucco wall about 16" in front of the can.

The hackery is strong here. I was called to replace a timeclock with a photocell because the guy in charge of adjusting dusk and dawn isn't doing his job.

What I found was both 110 fixtures and 220v HID fixtures wired off of the TC101... problem you say? no problem, we only switch one leg to the HIDs and the lights go off when when the TC101 opens :eek:

It gets better, not only are the loads for the HIDs not on the same breaker, they are not even on the same side of the panel :thumbup:

the Lighting circuit is all being fixed with a contactor and breaker rearrangement but I am worried about the clearance in front of the can.
Those kind of pictures should not be allowed on a professional electrical forum.:no:

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Why is clearance an issue? Have you been asked to bring it up to code? Even if you were I think your clearance might be ok. It's ugly as sin but it's pretty typical IMO. The best you could do without tearing it out and redoing it is verify good connections and label the hell out of that can

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
It's a j-box, not a panel. I'd double check the connections on those wires and then push the wires back in the box and put the cover on.

Since most of the building wiring looks to be passing through that box, I don't see the dollar to benefit ratio for your customer moving that box just because the clearance isn't ideal.

If it was just a couple of conduits and a few circuits, I might try to squeeze fixing something like that into another job I was already there for. But not that many circuits and conduits...you'll have them down for hours repairing that. Not unless they asked you to do it.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The photo does not depict it well but you really cant see the wire while you are reaching for them. basically you would have to figure out where wires are, then reach up and work them by feel with your head down.

They have been threatening to demo the building and make a new one... I guess I will just leave it be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.