Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't say "read it" lol. I've always done very clean work and fully understand the importance of breaker/wire size, voltage drop etc.. I also want to get my license. So how can I get better with the electricians bible? Looks complicated .. Is it? I'm purchasing the Ugly's 2014 as a start. How many of you reference the NEC on a daily basis?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,178 Posts
Buy a copy of the searchable nec pdf and keep it on your computer and then sit here at this forum 24-7 waiting to be able to answer every single inquiry so that you will appear to be an expert. After a while the repetition will make you one. And then they will make you a moderator. You still won't know which end of the screwdriver to hold onto, or be actually able to ever bend a saddle, but you will be fantastic at arriving at the proper code article in a matter of nanoseconds.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
macmikeman said:
Buy a copy of the searchable nec pdf and keep it on your computer and then sit here at this forum 24-7 waiting to be able to answer every single inquiry so that you will appear to be an expert. After a while the repetition will make you one. And then they will make you a moderator. You still won't know which end of the screwdriver to hold onto, or be actually able to ever bend a saddle, but you will be fantastic at arriving at the proper code article in a matter of nanoseconds.
Lol I'm great at bending pipe. Have an app on my phone and a cheesy pipe bending video. Really did help.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Video, DVD's and sign up for some classes and read, sorry to tell you this but you have to read it. More than once, twice or three times

Soares on grounding will help
Very true, you HAVE to read it; often back and forth between several sections multiple times. And Soares is a good book too. However, I don't recommend trying to read the code book cover to cover like a novel unless you're having trouble falling asleep.

Take a class, use it on the job, and read other code related materials (magazine articles, white papers, forums) and then reference the NEC on the topic. The handbook edition is nice too (pictures).

·
Registered
32,968 Posts
Very true, you HAVE to read it; often back and forth between several sections multiple times. And Soares is a good book too. However, I don't recommend trying to read the code book cover to cover like a novel unless you're having trouble falling asleep.

Take a class, use it on the job, and read other code related materials (magazine articles, white papers, forums) and then reference the NEC on the topic. The handbook edition is nice too (pictures).
I took classes and read a small parts of one section several times and asked questions. The problem with asking questions at work is finding someone that knows what they are talking about.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I took classes and read a small parts of one section several times and asked questions. The problem with asking questions at work is finding someone that knows what they are talking about.
yeah I like calling my foreman out when he trys to do non-code compliant work. like using a 2ft piece of running threads imc to go through a wall just so he can put on a weatherproof lockring to seal the penetration. not only is that expensive but illegal. all in order to avoid using caulking on the metal building? he was annoyed when u showed him the code reference. "well thats how the oldtimer with this company showed me so I thought it was ok", is all he could say.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Please don't say "read it" lol. I've always done very clean work and fully understand the importance of breaker/wire size, voltage drop etc.. I also want to get my license. So how can I get better with the electricians bible? Looks complicated .. Is it? I'm purchasing the Ugly's 2014 as a start. How many of you reference the NEC on a daily basis?
Short of being some sort of code prodigy , you simply need to have an almost OC relationship withe the code for a while. It's an eat/sleep/walk/talk deal.

Most of us went through that phase, falling asleep with the book, waking up with the book, referencing specifics as best we could, asking a whole lotta questions.

One of the most prevalent and frustrating nec deals is the cross referencing.
Stallcups got a book on for that btw, among others.

Start your library now, you won't regret it

~CS~

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Short of being some sort of code prodigy , you simply need to have an almost OC relationship withe the code for a while. It's an eat/sleep/walk/talk deal.

Most of us went through that phase, falling asleep with the book, waking up with the book, referencing specifics as best we could, asking a whole lotta questions.

One of the most prevalent and frustrating nec deals is the cross referencing.
Stallcups got a book on for that btw, among others.

Start your library now, you won't regret it

~CS~
I'm not a publisher but I could come up with a better index than what they put in the code book. If I'd be responsible, I have it more like a concordance where you could look up specific things by just one word.

·
Registered
32,968 Posts

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

Every day,if you have an iPhone/iPad down load the app.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The code is just like any other reference material, don't try to memorize it, just learn your way around it so you know where to look for what. Even though Macmikeman might have meant it as a joke, reading these forums and looking stuff up every night will get you real familiar with it. On the other hand, if you have trouble sleeping, just keep a copy on your nightstand. It won't take long to put you to sleep once you start reading it page by page.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
chadw said:
yeah I like calling my foreman out when he trys to do non-code compliant work. like using a 2ft piece of running threads imc to go through a wall just so he can put on a weatherproof lockring to seal the penetration. not only is that expensive but illegal. all in order to avoid using caulking on the metal building? he was annoyed when u showed him the code reference. "well thats how the oldtimer with this company showed me so I thought it was ok", is all he could say.
Hey not sure i get what your boss wanted to do? He wanted to protect romex going through a wall with imc??

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Incubus311 said:
Hey not sure i get what your boss wanted to do? He wanted to protect romex going through a wall with imc??
Forget it. Just another first year apprentice that somehow knows more than his superiors. There's like a million of them here now

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.