Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I start being an electrician without going to school? Is there any books that I can learn from. I have a really busy schedule, so I can't go to school yet(I working on time management) and I was wondering where can I start? Thanks!

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
How can I start being an electrician without going to school? Is there any books that I can learn from. I have a really busy schedule, so I can't go to school yet(I working on time management) and I was wondering where can I start? Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. I guess you could read.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Mike Holt's. Its simply the best. The tough part will be hands on experience, but you can always buy supplies from Home Depot and get versed in the basics.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum. You can not learn how "to be an electrician" from a book any more than you can learn to fly a plane from a book. You can get the basics of what the trade entails, but you have to get your hands dirty to learn it. My first experiences with electrical work began with a shovel. After I "learned" how to dig ditches, I was taught how to kick conduit into those ditches, and how to cover them up. It wasn't glamorous, but I stuck it out, now I build power plants for a living (40 years later) and the occasional tilt-up, but I didn't learn that from a book. If you like reading, pick up a copy of the NEC code book, that'll keep you busy for a few years.

·
Senior Moment
383 Posts
If you purchase an NEC Code Book, I would strongly recommend getting the same year issue NEC Code Handbook to go with it. It is a companion book that explains what code sections actually mean in clear, concise language, often with illustrative examples as well. The NEC to a beginner in the Trade can be quite complex and confusing on it's own. Good luck!

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
your profile says you are a student, so I would suggest lining up a summer job as a helper with a local electrical firm, and asking if it might be possible to start part time. Once you get your hands dirty, the books will make a lot more sense.

Reactions: danhasenauer

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,190 Posts
If you purchase an NEC Code Book, I would strongly recommend getting the same year issue NEC Code Handbook to go with it. It is a companion book that explains what code sections actually mean in clear, concise language, often with illustrative examples as well. The NEC to a beginner in the Trade can be quite complex and confusing on it's own. Good luck!
How could anyone understand a code book, if they never did one bit of this work? I mean he would not even understand the terms as he has never heard them before.

your profile says you are a student, so I would suggest lining up a summer job as a helper with a local electrical firm, and asking if it might be possible to start part time. Once you get your hands dirty, the books will make a lot more sense.
Good advice. Get in ground floor, learn business, become an electrician.

·
Senior Moment
383 Posts
How could anyone understand a code book, if they never did one bit of this work? I mean he would not even understand the terms as he has never heard them before.
Exactly why I recommended the companion "picture book".
Agreed that One must know how to do it correctly first by actually doing it, you can't get experience from a book. The Code explains only how it is to be done a certain way, not why.

·
Ditch Digging Dummy
1,860 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You could always go and talk with the IEC or the IBEW. They both have night classes and would be a great start to anyone wanting to get in the trade! Or you could just apprentice with a contractor and learn it on the fly. Good luck with everything you do!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
...hands on experience coupled with schooling is the best way to learn this trade. Basically an apprenticeship.

To give this kid a soares book, code book , or mike holt material is no good if he does not understand the basic concepts.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Oh and I might as well mention, since he's a student, that some class hours related to the electrical field can count towards those 8k hours required.

Reactions: theJcK

·
Registered
455 Posts
Local vocational schools whom love to call themselves Technical Institutes are like a fifth the cost of going to a private tech school to learn. Just saying....

If you want to get a taste try and volunteer for Habitat for Humanity and wire up a house with other volunteers hopefully under someone with a license.

If you are broke and want to buy some books on it. Look for the old edition from tech schools. You wouldn't believe what books those lovely union boys in their apprenticeship trade away and wind up used on exlibris for a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Work on becoming a RN you will be glad you did.......Construction is not all fun and games.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts