Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...do you bury conduit (PVC) when there is not gonna be a permit/inspection? Ex: feeding a small sub panel at a shed. Does it depend on how hard the ground is? It does for me. Easy digging- 12 to 18". Red clay or lots of rock- 6" is good enough.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Conduit, I might slack a little. Direct-burial, no way. I've been known to go a full 36" because we were running direct burial directly through an area the homeowner made clear was going to be a "garden".

I personally don't like DB anyway: By the time you've found it with a shovel, the damage is already done.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
...do you bury conduit (PVC) when there is not gonna be a permit/inspection? Ex: feeding a small sub panel at a shed. Does it depend on how hard the ground is? It does for me. Easy digging- 12 to 18". Red clay or lots of rock- 6" is good enough.
I suppose the question would be, even if you are not required to obtain a permit or inspection, would you still be required to comply with minimum NEC requirements?

Pete

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
When I pay someone to dig, the bottom of the trench has to be at least 24 inches and I like 30. This is for PVC.
Unless it's under a driveway or street etc. I think the minimum is 18" below grade if it's in conduit. I agree that deeper is better.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
It was a small mistake but when I do I just take the edges out 100 feet to keep the angle under 63 degrees. Takes a while but I have the time.
:laughing::laughing: Stay safe. Be sure to have a means of egress. Maybe you should consider the step method. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
I personally don't like DB anyway: By the time you've found it with a shovel, the damage is already done.
This is exactly the reason they invented scotch coat.

Those UF repair kits are pretty cheap actually, something like $11. In a pinch Ive also been known to slap a couple wirenuts on it - put a plastic sandwich bag around it - fill it with a tube of silicone - wrap it up on itself like a dog turd in a bag - collect cash and never look back.

:)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
MHElectric said:
This is exactly the reason they invented scotch coat. Those UF repair kits are pretty cheap actually, something like $11. In a pinch Ive also been known to slap a couple wirenuts on it - put a plastic sandwich bag around it - fill it with a tube of silicone - wrap it up on itself like a dog turd in a bag - collect cash and never look back. :)
jesus

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.