Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m 26 looking to become an electrician in NJ. I just really love the work. I know the odds of me getting into the union are slim but I also know they offer the best education hands down. Does anyone know how I could go about getting the same level of education without local 102 or 164 NJ? Aside from Lincoln tech. Is it worth it going to the IEC or ABC for the proper electrical education?
Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
19,102 Posts
Hey guys I’m 26 looking to become an electrician in NJ. I just really love the work. I know the odds of me getting into the union are slim but I also know they offer the best education hands down. Does anyone know how I could go about getting the same level of education without local 102 or 164 NJ? Aside from Lincoln tech. Is it worth it going to the IEC or ABC for the proper electrical education?
Thanks everyone.
I would avoid both of those. They are in business to help contractors skirt PW laws.
Instead, study courses offered by Tom Henry, Mike Holt and others of that caliber.
Gain the book knowledge to avoid mistakes, know that our trade is heavy on OJT. You must put in your time, get whatever license or certification is offered in your jurisdiction as soon as you are eligible.
Learn how to bend pipe, wire motor starters, and three way switches.
Stay with a contractor as long as you can respect how they operate and how well you feel compensated.
Don’t be afraid to move out to move up.
Work hard to get into service work. That is where the smart entry level guys cut their teeth.
Finally, be a well rounded tradesman. Learn how to operate equipment, rigging,welding, program PLCs, install fire alarm systems, and tie knots. Get a commercial drivers license, get your OSHA 30, do everything that can help you be a valuable employee.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would recommend the IEC over the ABC, and I was an instructor with the ABC for ten years.
The difference I saw at the time was the students in the ABC were already employed and their employers sent them to school.
At the IEC some students where able to get into the school without being employed by a contractor, some were employed and sent by their employer.

Also the IEC would help place students with a contractor, the ABC did not.
Again, at the time I was teaching, 1990's, the IEC was better equipped for "hands on" lab training.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts