Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i see all these ads online for jobs out in alberta that i was interested in and their asking for level 1 - 4 apprentices. The higher the levee you are the more wages you earn. So i made a resume and want to apply but i don't know how to figure out what level i am?. i just completed my first block of trade school, i graduated a 2 year program of electrical engineering and they said that you will gain about 1500 hours from this. i don't have any actual record of my hours but with schooling and work i have roughly 2500hours but how do i proof this or be granted these hours?? no one is really keeping track including my employer.

someone please explain this to me so i can work out what level i am at. I'm doing my apprenticeship in ontario also

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Isn't Engineering a 4 year degree in Canada like it is in the US ? In the US you would still be a 1st year until you get some on the job experience under your belt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't Engineering a 4 year degree in Canada like it is in the US ? In the US you would still be a 1st year until you get some on the job experience under your belt.
no i did a 2 year and got a diploma

·
Registered
31,643 Posts
You can get a 2 year Associates degree in the US, I work with many engineers (not licensed*) that went to a Community College.

*-Few engineers I know are licensed and in Virginia you did not need a degree to sit for the engineers license [this was information from some time ago and may have changed]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i simply received a diploma in electrical engineering from fanshawe college, but no doesn't make me a engineer

·
497 Posts
No work no school = first year
1500 hours 1st level schooling = 2nd year
3000 hours 2nd level school = 3rd year
4500 hours 3rd level school = 4th year
6000 hours 4th level school = journey person

That's how it works in BC and Alberta. You need to be register with the training authority and keep track of hours.

·
Retired Account
39,698 Posts
So i see all these ads online for jobs out in alberta that i was interested in and their asking for level 1 - 4 apprentices. The higher the levee you are the more wages you earn. So i made a resume and want to apply but i don't know how to figure out what level i am?. i just completed my first block of trade school, i graduated a 2 year program of electrical engineering and they said that you will gain about 1500 hours from this. i don't have any actual record of my hours but with schooling and work i have roughly 2500hours but how do i proof this or be granted these hours?? no one is really keeping track including my employer.

someone please explain this to me so i can work out what level i am at. I'm doing my apprenticeship in ontario also
'hours' here are proven by affidavit and/or tax records pursuant to culmiation of applicable hours

'level' is when one is subjected to testing.

might i suggest posting your best work @ ET

you'll know where you stand in a cocaine heartbeat

good luck Cory

~CS~

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
i simply received a diploma in electrical engineering from fanshawe college, but no doesn't make me a engineer
:lol: Good luck convincing a lot of BSEEs of that. I've worked with a mess of them, and about every 30 seconds they will remind you that they are the engineeringest engineers to ever have engineered some engineering.

·
Registered
287 Posts
A question for you... do you have any registered hours...ie have you been working since you have been signed on? I am assuming yes, as in Ontario they usually do not send you to the first block of trade school until you have completed x amount of hours. Also DO NOT go off of the hours BlackHowling posted. BC and Alberta are different apprenticeship programs than here. 6000 hours will not make you a C of Q 309A journeyman here in Ontario...it is a 9000 hour apprenticeship here, where only after then you qualify to write the final exam. You continue to be a 5th term apprentice after 9000 hours if you do not pass.

To answer your question more directly, the levels are hours based as stated before. Remember when you calculate your hours, 44 a week MAX, which is complete bull chit, but that's how it works in Ontario. :blink: Assuming you have 1800 hours (or whatever xxxx hours was agreed upon during your signing) working as a registered apprentice.... If you have worked 1800 hours and done one block of trade school, you can call yourself a 2nd period apprentice. If the only hours you have are from school, they do not count at this point. To get these hours credited you must get a letter of experience stating what you did and how many hours, and then it is up to your employer whether they choose to accept the previous experience. They then submit that to the ministry of training and the hours are credited towards your apprenticeship.

It is a screwed up system, far from excellent, I have had to deal with the ministry of training on a few occasions now and it is never enjoyable. Good that you are asking questions though, don't let the ministry people walk over you, they will lie to your face if they are unsure of something themselves, do not take there word for it. Keep well documented hours and get all agreements between you and the employer written in hard copy about what you and they expect during the apprenticeship. Good luck, it's not as bad as it sounds once you're out there working!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Check out www.tradesecrets.org and you'll see how the apprenticeship system works in Alberta. If you need clarification or want to know where you stand, they have a form to submit and they will give you an idea how your training and experience correlates with the system here. Most likely you'll be a first year here but may be credited with some hours, at the discretion of the Master that indentures you in Alberta. Generally, hours and technical training aren't officially recognized from other provinces until you get your Red Seal, which is the national standard.

Best bet may be to apply as a first year and explain your background. If they credit you some hours then challenge the first year provincial exam and go forward from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for replays guys, it got a lot cleared up for me, although most of my hours are school completed hours i do have probably around 800-1000 hours of work experience, i guess i should go about get accredited with my school hours tho and probably my work hours also

1 - 12 of 12 Posts