Electrician Talk banner

How do project contractors evaluate and purchase lighting fixtures?

1562 Views 16 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  dawgs
Is there any lighting project contractor out there? How is your evaluation process on what product you would purchase for this project? What elements is important to you?:rolleyes:I am
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,950 Posts
The lights are specified on every commercial job I ever did. I buy them from the lowest priced supply house in closed bid style mayhem on the day the project bids are opened. The important lighting elements for me where - did they arrive at the jobsite on time and in unbroken condition. Are the lamps all there. Are they the right voltage ballasts. Anything else was secondary, I usually could care less how they look once installed, if the customer doesn't like the light output, take it to the Architect and wine at him not me, I put in the lights he wanted....

· Banned
17 Posts
The price of this light starts from lowest to higher according to the quality and features. At the time of purchasing, I always prefer the quality as well as the customer's demand and budget.

The important factor which is considered by me that is the glass quality, grace of lighting and guarantee of the item as well.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The price of this light starts from lowest to higher according to the quality and features. At the time of purchasing, I always prefer the quality as well as the customer's demand and budget.

The important factor which is considered by me that is the glass quality, grace of lighting and guarantee of the item as well.
Thank you Paul! Same question. in what fashion do you usually buy. in store or bid online. If online, which website?

· Premium Member
20,179 Posts
We do not buy directly from a distributor, we purchase through our wholesalers.
Like Mac said, we send out the fixture package for a quote to our wholesalers. The local distributor for those fixtures has a territory and all of the bidders packages go to the same distributor through the wholsaler.

The difference in the price is how many points your wholsaler puts on your bid package.
You do not get your price until the day the bid is due and very usually, only an hour or so before the bid is due. This discourages contractors from shopping around for a lower price.
It really is a crappy system but, it's what we have.

Blessings to you and hope that one day your people will be free.

· Registered
3,637 Posts
Most times the engineer will specify at least 2 models that they are looking for.. Then depending on pricing and availability each contractor will assemble it's bid and submit. There are occasions where one manufacturer of a specific light is wanted. There usually isn't much price flexibility on these ones...

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We do not buy directly from a distributor, we purchase through our wholesalers.
Like Mac said, we send out the fixture package for a quote to our wholesalers. The local distributor for those fixtures has a territory and all of the bidders packages go to the same distributor through the wholsaler.

The difference in the price is how many points your wholsaler puts on your bid package.
You do not get your price until the day the bid is due and very usually, only an hour or so before the bid is due. This discourages contractors from shopping around for a lower price.
It really is a crappy system but, it's what we have.

Blessings to you and hope that one day your people will be free.
:thumbup:Thank you for your explanation. I understand this is how yall do things. Who is your wholesaler?

Haha thank you for your blessing, China is better than your thought. You should come visit, welcome to China ;)

· Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
62,061 Posts
:thumbup:Thank you for your explanation. I understand this is how yall do things. Who is your wholesaler?

Haha thank you for your blessing, China is better than your thought. You should come visit, welcome to China ;)
That my friend will take a whole lot of proof after many years of not being close to true.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That my friend will take a whole lot of proof after many years of not being close to true.
First of all my friend, out of curiosity. What is China look like in your mind? if you do not mind sharing.

Seeing is believing, I'm not trying to convince you. But if you'd like, welcome to Guangzhou China, my company would gladly be your host:)

· Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
62,061 Posts
First of all my friend, out of curiosity. What is China look like in your mind? if you do not mind sharing.

Seeing is believing, I'm not trying to convince you. But if you'd like, welcome to Guangzhou China, my company would gladly be your host:)
I don't mind at all. All the light fixtures I have seen labelled China have been very poorly finished. Sheetmetal left with sharp edges due to dull cutting edges, canopies misshaped, threads out of align with center, extremely low quality hardware, screws that snap off or strip when tightened. Those are just the ones that come to mind. I'm not one that will only use American made items but compared to fixtures I see come out of Europe the Chinese made items just don't have the quality. I won't even think about bulbs made there.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't mind at all. All the light fixtures I have seen labelled China have been very poorly finished. Sheetmetal left with sharp edges due to dull cutting edges, canopies misshaped, threads out of align with center, extremely low quality hardware, screws that snap off or strip when tightened. Those are just the ones that come to mind. I'm not one that will only use American made items but compared to fixtures I see come out of Europe the Chinese made items just don't have the quality. I won't even think about bulbs made there.
Sorry about those low quality products. I am sure you have seen a lot of Chinese made lighting fixture, but I do not think you have seen them all. I'd like to keep my company apart with the crappy products come into your mind. Actually we only export our product to Europe and north America. We have CE,TUV, UL, DLC..... certifications. And to be honest, many of those so called American companies are selling the Chinese OEM product. They only put their label on them.

· Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
62,061 Posts
Sorry about those low quality products. I am sure you have seen a lot of Chinese made lighting fixture, but I do not think you have seen them all. I'd like to keep my company apart with the crappy products come into your mind. Actually we only export our product to Europe and north America. We have CE,TUV, UL, DLC..... certifications. And to be honest, many of those so called American companies are selling the Chinese OEM product. They only put their label on them.
Thanks. Oh I'm well aware of relabeling. I just think the others that are imported here will make it hard for your company to over come the stigma attached to China. I wish you luck.

· Retired Account
39,616 Posts
The Architect or engineer will spec on big jobs, lighting shop on smaller jobs, and home owners can go to big box stores

As a general rule, we make $ on the installation & maintenance , not the sale of lighting fixtures

My rationale is ,they are a highly competitive low profit margin product

I've got bigger fish to fry...

~CS~

Estwing magic
28,120 Posts
Lighting agent has lunch with the engineer. "Arrangements" are made. A strange, proprietary fixture is specified for a broom closet. Alternative lighting packages are rejected because they can't match the broom closet fixture. Contractor purchases approved lighting package. Engineer buys a villa in the south of France. Contractor buys baloney sandwich.

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,950 Posts
Lighting agent has lunch with the engineer. "Arrangements" are made. A strange, proprietary fixture is specified for a broom closet. Alternative lighting packages are rejected because they can't match the broom closet fixture. Contractor purchases approved lighting package. Engineer buys a villa in the south of France. Contractor buys baloney sandwich.
It's a fair trade. One less Engineer around.......

· Registered
2,414 Posts
99cents said:
Hit the nail on the head.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.