Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss told me that they are almost useless when it comes to knob and tube, though I am not sure why. I know they aren't accurate with MC, but they seem to work on leads that extend beyond the metal jacket. I have also heard that they aren't accurate if they have been sitting in the cold. What's the definitive word on this?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If it tics, assume it's hot. If it doesn't tic, assume it's hot..

I can put any of the tic testers on the same wire 10 times and come up with many different results. I use it as a rule of thumb often to determine which wire is hot and neutral, even though it is certainly not always accurate with that either.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If you use them long enough you start to understand them. Higher voltage say 277v you'll notice it starts going off before you touch the wire for example. In a 3 way system it seems to give some faulty readings.

I don't like it when people tell me their useless. That's people that haven't been doing it long enough. For example if your tester is working propery and you get no reading then the sh!t is dead. They say always test your tester on a known live circuit to determine if it's working propery. Then you can rub against your shirt and the static electrcicty will make it go off letting you know it's working.

In a j box with multiple circuits it's going to be somewhat unreliable but if there is enough wire you can usually pull the wire your testing far enough from the others to not pick up a reading from the other circuits.

Again you have to know when you can trust or not. Another example is if your flipping the breaker and it's going off and on as your flipping the breaker then you can be pretty sure that's it. oF COURSE YOU STILL TREAT EVERYTHING AS IF IT'S HOT JUST OUTA COMMON PRACTICE. (oops on the caps)

My fav use of the tic tester I posted in the tips and tricks thread is set it to beep beep and put it on a circuit (in a house not commercial) set your walkie talkie next to it. Go to the panel with your other walkie talkie and flip the breakers till you hear it go off. Ta da you got the circuit.

It's a useful tool.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
The only thing a heat pen should tell you is you need to put a real meter on it. You can't trust your life on it that's for sure

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
My fav use of the tic tester I posted in the tips and tricks thread is set it to beep beep and put it on a circuit (in a house not commercial) set your walkie talkie next to it. Go to the panel with your other walkie talkie and flip the breakers till you hear it go off. Ta da you got the circuit.
Or it moved....:whistling2:

A tic tester is only good for a general idea. All readings should be double checked with a real tester.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I've become pretty confident in my Fluke LVD2.

But I've been made a fool too many times on other brands non contact testers to no longer absolutely trust a no voltage reading.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
They are good for identifying a switch leg or finding a circuit on a particular breaker but only if you can control it imo. Definitely not something you want to trust 100% and use as your only testing method.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Or it moved....:whistling2:

A tic tester is only good for a general idea. All readings should be double checked with a real tester.
Well of course if you can get a real tester on it you should use the real tester. There are times when you can't do that tho (not readily anyway).

Like I said once you master the tic tester and it's ups and downs it's a useful tool.

or it moved...again that could happen but if you hit the breaker on and the tester goes on then you hit the breaker off and the tester goes off...ya gotta have some common sense you know that.

·
Can't Remember
10,434 Posts
I have a tic tracer, knopp tester, and a few multimeters. They have their place and I will likely always have one.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
I have found using a NCVS on UF to usually be a FALSE negative.... Blew up 1 pair of ***** the first time, never again.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Good for reading Romex in an attic or pulling out a device to swap out. Not for tracing out a circuit. If there is a loose neutral the tic tracer will still chirp indicating voltage (but not 120)

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
I love hearing morons spout off about how "useless" these are when I go to their pouch and find a $9 Gardener Bender or Greenlee model, covered in dust with nearly dead batteries.

The one I use, made by Fluke, has never let me down. I always use it with a proper test method (live, dead, live) and carry a 337 if ever I'm unsure. The tick tester leaves me 99.8% sure that whatever I'm dealing with is dead, and I'll handle it as if it were live regardless.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I love hearing morons spout off about how "useless" these are when I go to their pouch and find a $9 Gardener Bender or Greenlee model, covered in dust with nearly dead batteries.

The one I use, made by Fluke, has never let me down. I always use it with a proper test method (live, dead, live) and carry a 337 if ever I'm unsure. The tick tester leaves me 99.8% sure that whatever I'm dealing with is dead, and I'll handle it as if it were live regardless.
Atta boy JZ

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
I work with a guy who refuses to use my Fluke LVD2. Says he doesn't trust it, it's not a real tester, etc.. Instead, he'll dig this $60 gem out from the bottom of his pouch, blow the dust off, and test with "confidence".

No thanks. The real kicker is, guess who blows more holes in their pliers between the two of us? Not me.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Yeah I've used greenlee's and kleins.. but those Fluke LVD2's are by far the best and worth the higher price. They have an LED flashlight built in (use it all the time) and are very reliable in sensing.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts