Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a small company 4-5 trucks out in the field. 3 guys in the office , the boss, the residential estimator (me) and the commercial estimator. We have been steady for work for quite a while. We get a lot of service work both resi and commercial. My boss has had this company for 17 years, and I have been in the office just under two years so it is difficult for me to question his judgement. What I have an issue is that my boss will bill out the same rate for an apprentice as he does for a licensed electrician. Some of the jobs I bid on it would be nice to have an apprentice just for a second set of hands, a go-fer, a clean up guy or just even to train for the future. But at a rate equal to the licensed guy I can't always sell the job. How do you bill out for apprentices, especially green ones?:confused1:

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,701 Posts
I put fake mustaches on them so they "look" like real electricians.

Your boss likes profit. Your job is to get it for him. Get cracking on that and let him set the policy. Or in other words, shape up or ship out.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
JMSAO

It's time for you to sit down with the boss. You need to understand their
procedurers, no one here can answer nor change anything of the bosses billing
process.

If you don't ask to talk or they won't talk then it's time to move on, there's plenty of secrets of how they are staying in business.

As I've read here, you are only going to pull in one in ten job's as an estimator if even that. This all depends on the many variables that this forum has no insight to and can't answer.

Write an overview of your pro's and con's that your experiencing, then revise it again. Work it down to five things each then present them to your boss.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
We are a small company 4-5 trucks out in the field. 3 guys in the office , the boss, the residential estimator (me) and the commercial estimator. We have been steady for work for quite a while. We get a lot of service work both resi and commercial. My boss has had this company for 17 years, and I have been in the office just under two years so it is difficult for me to question his judgement. What I have an issue is that my boss will bill out the same rate for an apprentice as he does for a licensed electrician. Some of the jobs I bid on it would be nice to have an apprentice just for a second set of hands, a go-fer, a clean up guy or just even to train for the future. But at a rate equal to the licensed guy I can't always sell the job. How do you bill out for apprentices, especially green ones?:confused1:
No one should know they're green.

You should be pricing your service work using a flat rate pricing system such as this

Sell the work for a price before the work starts and when it's done have your electricians collect C.O.D...

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Ironic that this site will stand on ceremony when convenient , yet advocate it's abuse when it is shown an EC can sell the uncredentialed as bona fide

Take a bow for such blazing example of cognitive dissonance fellas!

~CS~

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,701 Posts
I find it ironic that Chicken Steve who has repeatedly admitted that his business barely breaks even , posts in the business advice section of the forum.

Awesome . We are hanging onto every word Steve. Keep it coming. I wanna miss my next payment too.

Reactions: MTW

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Ironic that this site will stand on ceremony when convenient , yet advocate it's abuse when it is shown an EC can sell the uncredentialed as bona fide

Take a bow for such blazing example of cognitive dissonance fellas!

~CS~
I think you've got me stumped on this one...:blink:

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I find it ironic that Chicken Steve who has repeatedly admitted that his business barely breaks even , posts in the business advice section of the forum.

Awesome . We are hanging onto every word Steve. Keep it coming. I wanna miss my next payment too.
I don't sell an apprentice at licensed prices Mac

although i see & have worked for many companies that do

And I'd rather be an honest failure , that a dishonest success

~CS~

·
Estwing magic
26,744 Posts
You're not always expected to sell the job. You should have an expected hit rate. If you are not achieving that hit rate, then it's time for analysis. In the meantime, you are working for an established company with a dependable revenue stream. I am not seeing much of a problem here.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
As I don't consciously aspire to confuse OR insult anyone here, this is a polite term being used>

Question: What Is Cognitive Dissonance?

People tend to seek consistency in their beliefs and perceptions. So what happens when one of our beliefs conflicts with another previously held belief? The term cognitive dissonance is used to describe the feeling of discomfort that results from holding two conflicting beliefs. When there is a discrepancy between beliefs and behaviors, something must change in order to eliminate or reduce the dissonance.

Now some of you have showed open aggression to those of less than pristine credentials here

The fact is, DIY'ers are given the door, and even the most quality installs posted are picked apart

We are nothing,if not self policing.

Further, every consumer advocacy org and/or state law's benchmark is proper credentialing

My big Q is, are you going to throw this all under the bus, for profit?

~CS~

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
tomgt63, you probably got this job because the previous guy couldn't figure out how to reconcile the hours to the rates. One of those needs to change or this owner will probably be hiring another resi estimator.

Full rate for a pimple faced kid to stand around handing tools to a journeyman is absurd. Reduced rate for apprentices, or raise journeyman rates to include apprentice compensation. These are topics you gotta discuss with the owner and figure out a course of action, or your course of action should be to start searching for a new gig.

(Oh great, Hack Work is back telling people how useless and stupid they are, while adding nothing of value to the threads.. oh joy!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts