Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you are doing a job that would require specialty equipment, how do you charge for this?

example: if the job requires you to use a bucket truck, trencher, x-lift, threader and hydraulic benders, ect....

do you charge a flat percentage of the machine/tool cost?

like if the trencher cost you $10,000 do you charge 5-10% every time its used? or the going rate it would cost you to rent it?

also how about if it's just 1 day or maybe a week/month long project?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
not really the same concept, a van is just standard equipment in overhead, I'm talking about things a person doesn't use everyday.
Do you own it or rent it? If you own the equipment it is no different than a van . It has a cost, a depreciation schedule, preventative maintenance and an eventual replacement cost. It is considered as overhead and is included in the cost of all jobs.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
Balance the cost of the item, it's expected life span, and how often it gets called to use.

Item with a 10-year life expectancy, that costs $10,000 and gets used 10 times a year....

$10,000 / 10 / 10 = $100 cost per use.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,669 Posts
not really the same concept, a van is just standard equipment in overhead, I'm talking about things a person doesn't use everyday.
Your answer is actually right there in your statement. But I will break it down for you: Charge Large. I say this alot, mostly because I know it costs me a lot to bring that Samoan fella with his cherry picker over to harvest all my coconuts before one of em hits me on the head. Used to be the Samoans had no problem just climbing up the tree's without resorting to carbon generating global warming equipment like cherry pickers, but HIOSH the state OSHA has stuck their nose into native food gathering practices. I love the gobment.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Do you own it or rent it? If you own the equipment it is no different than a van . It has a cost, a depreciation schedule, preventative maintenance and an eventual replacement cost. It is considered as overhead and is included in the cost of all jobs.
So if you purchased (for example) a boom lift that you only use for lighting maintenance that you do twice a month, you would just put the cost of that lift into your overhead? You wouldn't increase the cost for the lighting jobs that use the lift?

The same for a trencher? Scissor lift? Etc?

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Your answer is actually right there in your statement. But I will break it down for you: Charge Large. I say this alot, mostly because I know it costs me a lot to bring that Samoan fella with his cherry picker over to harvest all my coconuts before one of em hits me on the head. Used to be the Samoans had no problem just climbing up the tree's without resorting to carbon generating global warming equipment like cherry pickers, but HIOSH the state OSHA has stuck their nose into native food gathering practices. I love the gobment.
I hope you get banned again.

·
Banned
652 Posts
Balance the cost of the item, it's expected life span, and how often it gets called to use.

Item with a 10-year life expectancy, that costs $10,000 and gets used 10 times a year....

Add maintenance costs, insurance, storage and transportation of equipment into that figure and that would be a good formula.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
So if you purchased (for example) a boom lift that you only use for lighting maintenance that you do twice a month, you would just put the cost of that lift into your overhead? You wouldn't increase the cost for the lighting jobs that use the lift?

The same for a trencher? Scissor lift? Etc?
All equipment is in overhead. It is factored into our flat rate. It is no different than using an expensive tool . I don't charge extra when I use a megger.

·
Electron Flow Consultant
3,309 Posts
We own most of our equipment so each job is basically renting from our own shop and it gets charged to the job, based of daily, weekly, or monthly rates we have established. If we have to rent 3rd party, we add 5%.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

the problem with that method is with most special equipment you have no idea how much it will be used. I might use a trencher twice in a year or ten times in a month. I just purchased a load bank I have just a few contracts that it will be used for now I hope over its life I will gain more but I don't have a set number to accurately bill per use so I include it as a tool purchase in overhead.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have mini excavator I use for our digging and no way is it included in shop rate. Won't make you anything if you don't charge extra. I as a rule charge 25$ extra on top of shop rate.
Lifts and rental equip. I pass on full price to customer.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.