Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

When you’re tired, you make careless mistakes that you’d cringe at when you’re more alert. At best, fatigue-related errors waste time and money. At worst, they pose a serious health and safety risk, up to and including the risk of bodily injury or even death. Getting enough sleep is crucial to being a safe, competent electrician. But many people – especially those in the industry – don’t get nearly enough sleep to be at their best. Worker Fatigue and Safety – A Sleepy, Silent Threat
How do you deal with fatigue on the jobsite in a healthy manner? What steps do you take to ensure you get enough rest?

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,998 Posts
1. Drink more coffee

2. Run to the range and punch holes in paper at long distances

3. Drink more coffee

4. Take a day off to nap

5. Drink more coffee

6. Do an out of state job and spend the off time sleeping in a strange bed

7. Drink more coffee

8. Spend some time in the kitchen relaxing while cooking

9. Drink more coffee

10. Read my bible while drinking vanilla flavored coffee

·
Hackenschmidt
12,295 Posts
I don't know any secrets to deal with fatigue, as far as I can tell there's nothing to do but cowboy up and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,780 Posts
As a young man i only needed 4hrs sleep between the pub and working long hard shifts.

As a middle aged man i learnt to get up in the middle of the night to deal with the kids while working long hours.

Now im older im so use to being tired that its become part of how i operate. Never seen a tired person running around with there head cut of making stupid decisions.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
I just let the gubment take care of me.

Although that can be tiring too, spending all my time waxing my new BMW, playing games on my "Free Phone", buying stuff with my EBT at the liquor store...

I tell you, it gets really tiring, so I am hoping someone here has the answers.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,670 Posts
I was born tired and keep getting more and more tired as the years go by.........

I get form 3 - 5 hours of sleep a night, usually closer to 3. Once in a great while, I will get 5 or 6, I doubt if I've ever gotten more than that.

The one and only time I can remember feeling rested and ready for anything was in 1989 when my late wife and I dumped the kids off at Mom and Dads and spent 10 days in Hawaii.

We did a lot of stuff but spent a lot of time just relaxing and taking it easy. We got up when we were ready, not because a clock told us to. Lots of cuddling, sex, etc. (Sadly, the one and only time........lol)

After the 3rd or 4th day, I felt better than I ever had. No fatigue at all.

Then, back to work and feeling tired all the time.

At about 45 or so, I began to plan to retire at 60. I invested in stuff that would (and did) pay off at that age, everything was working out well.

Then Ocommie and his buddy Harry Ried and their idiotic 'affordable' health care act delayed my plans for 5 years. I could not afford their 'affordable' health insurance.

I'm 62 now, so I have about 3 more years of suffering to go......

Once I hit 65, health insurance is no longer obscenely expensive so I plan to semi-retire......get up when I'm rested, work a lot less than 8 hours a day, spend a lot of time relaxing, etc.

But it'll be a long 3 years........

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
2,564 Posts
A lot of time it's vitamin B or D deficiency which helps stabilize some things. Try that.

Next 8 hours often comes in the middle of a cycle. Better is 7.5 hours.

A lot has to do with pillows, mattress, etc., and doing some kind of exercise to clear your head. Also stay away from the stimulants sugar, caffeine, nicotine, etc., 2 hours before bed. Eating right before bed and eating lots of carbs also messed you up. Proteins take longer to digest pull blood away from the brain. An old anti-ADD trick is feed kids a tablespoon of peanut butter before bed.

Also same times too and room darkening shades. Your eyes have 3 receptors, rods, cones, and a third one that is sort of light/dark that triggers sleep cycles. Shift work is just awful on sleep cycles.

Stretches before actual work help a lot when working. Diet big time too. Basically our bodies process carbs as stored energy and fats. The South Beach or Atkins diet goes way up on protein so you start eating like a traditional farm work diet and typically end up losing weight too.

Also stupid scientific management theory established the 15 minute morning and afternoon break with a 20-30 minute lunch by combining hours. The original theory showed 5 minutes break out if every hour really helps a lot. And after 8 hours your performance drops pretty quickly. On strenuous jobs by 12 hours you're basically unproductive. By about 16 hours or so you can't pass a sobriety test even without alcohol.

Room temperature is important too. We sleep best if our bodies are warm but the room is a bit cooler. Ever sleep with the windows open in the fall/spring? It's like that. Those stupid white noise ocean or cricket radio sounds help too.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Small Potatoes
5,456 Posts
I was born tired and keep getting more and more tired as the years go by.........

I get form 3 - 5 hours of sleep a night, usually closer to 3. Once in a great while, I will get 5 or 6, I doubt if I've ever gotten more than that.

The one and only time I can remember feeling rested and ready for anything was in 1989 when my late wife and I dumped the kids off at Mom and Dads and spent 10 days in Hawaii.

We did a lot of stuff but spent a lot of time just relaxing and taking it easy. We got up when we were ready, not because a clock told us to. Lots of cuddling, sex, etc. (Sadly, the one and only time........lol)

After the 3rd or 4th day, I felt better than I ever had. No fatigue at all.

Then, back to work and feeling tired all the time.

At about 45 or so, I began to plan to retire at 60. I invested in stuff that would (and did) pay off at that age, everything was working out well.

Then Ocommie and his buddy Harry Ried and their idiotic 'affordable' health care act delayed my plans for 5 years. I could not afford their 'affordable' health insurance.

I'm 62 now, so I have about 3 more years of suffering to go......

Once I hit 65, health insurance is no longer obscenely expensive so I plan to semi-retire......get up when I'm rested, work a lot less than 8 hours a day, spend a lot of time relaxing, etc.

But it'll be a long 3 years........
Which is how long it seemed reading this post. Now I'm tired and need a nap. :sleeping:

·
Elderly Member
549 Posts
1. Drink more coffee

2. Run to the range and punch holes in paper at long distances

3. Drink more coffee

4. Take a day off to nap

5. Drink more coffee

6. Do an out of state job and spend the off time sleeping in a strange bed

7. Drink more coffee

8. Spend some time in the kitchen relaxing while cooking

9. Drink more coffee

10. Read my bible while drinking vanilla flavored coffee

#4 and #10 (In my case... while drinking hot chocolate) :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
Get an 18 yr old girlfriend. That'l wake you up. If your lucky she'll be a mute though. Blind and mute. That's the ticket. Yea............

1 - 20 of 42 Posts