Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been in biz for myself for a short time now. Just curious how you guys handle this scenario. Customer buys new house and has a laundry list of electrical work that needs to be done. We agree on a price and I list everything in detail in my proposal. I'm there for roughly 6 full days. Along the way he continues to add things. Nothing huge but ceiling fan here , outside gfi there, etc. then he balks at my invoice when it's $650 higher then the proposal. I explained exactly why and he paid me but he seemed a little surprised that I was charging him extra. My fault for not discussing cost when he originally asked but I would think its assumed, more work=more money.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Well you will know next time ? Won't you ?
Each and every time he asks for more
Say if it's not on the original quote ?
Then it will cost extra !

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Sounds vaguely familiar.... Get used to it.
It's all part of it. Customer always wants something for nothing.
That's why you learn to leave some rm in your pricing for minor additions.
But if more than a hr or so extra.
Its charge em time!
Don't assume they understand it's going to cost extra, you actually have to bring it up.
Ridiculous I know.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
Bkessler said:
Not to worry. Some idiots think their doing you a favor by hiring you and so they think they'll get stuff for free.
Seems like most people have that idea. Or they think you'll get into a bidding war with "the guy that came earlier" for their work.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've only been in biz for myself for a short time now. Just curious how you guys handle this scenario. Customer buys new house and has a laundry list of electrical work that needs to be done. We agree on a price and I list everything in detail in my proposal. I'm there for roughly 6 full days. Along the way he continues to add things. Nothing huge but ceiling fan here , outside gfi there, etc. then he balks at my invoice when it's $650 higher then the proposal. I explained exactly why and he paid me but he seemed a little surprised that I was charging him extra. My fault for not discussing cost when he originally asked but I would think its assumed, more work=more money.
At least he paid, I would say you have nothing to complain about lol.

It's the nature of the beast, hope it didn't get to you too much, because it's bound to happen more. People don't like to spend any more money than what they have to.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
You handle it by having them sign a change order prior to performing the extra work. That change order lists exactly what you're going to do and how much it's going to cost.

No signature, no extra work done.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
Bkessler said:
Not to worry. Some idiots think their doing you a favor by hiring you and so they think they'll get stuff for free.
I like the guys who think they are doing you a favor by offering you "side" work. Like that's what I want to do on my day off. Work for less money.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
union347sparky said:
I like the guys who think they are doing you a favor by offering you "side" work. Like that's what I want to do on my day off. Work for less money.
I agree. 8hrs is enough for me.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
If I quoted the price of work initially, I do work listed on that quote, then take my payment for it. Then I put together a new quote for the new list of work, and get started soon as they agree.

Unless I like/trust the customer, then I'll actually just do T&M and just keep slugging away on their ever changing list.

At least you discovered this issue on a small job that was only $650 in extras, and the customer just paid. Next time you won't get off so easy... always keep yourself in a safe position with SOME of the power. Give all the power to the customer and the wrong personality type will eat you up.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought about change order but Monday it was hang a fan instead of a fixture, Tuesday was add 2 outlets instead of one, Wed was 4 dimmers instead of switches, Thurs was 6 hi-hats instead of 4. It was work I was already doing just extras. I guess next one I just have to make it clear that anything not on the originally proposal is additional cost. Or I should change verbiage on my proposal to state this.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Oh that guy knew what he was doing.

He just balked at the invoice because you actually called him on it.. he figured you for a sucker!

Yeah next time, soon as a customer changes something substantial.. let them know it will cost money to change, and are they sure they still want to change.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a typed out quote listing exactly what is covered, listing each item and quantity. Which they sign before work is started.

Anything extra I write out and have them sign it as we'll as being an extra cost.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
You handle it by learning from your mistakes. People do this stuff purposely and you need to recognize when it's happening. Don't be afraid to talk about money. When they say they want to add something, you say " No problem. It will be an extra $XXX.00 "

Your next lesson will be to put it in writing :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
You handle it by learning from your mistakes. People do this stuff purposely and you need to recognize when it's happening. Don't be afraid to talk about money. When they say they want to add something, you say " No problem. It will be an extra $XXX.00 "

Your next lesson will be to put it in writing :thumbup:

And, six days is a big/long damn resi job.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Or I should change verbiage on my proposal to state this.
YES YES YES, you definitely need to have that verbiage in your proposal, preferable right above where the customer signs.

Also, payment terms (as silly as this sounds) need to be in the proposal, "payment due upon completion".

·
Estwing magic
26,423 Posts
Lessons to be learned. Nice guy = negative bank balance.

There is always give and take but you start out with a scope of work and get changes approved during the process. Waiting until the end almost never works.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.