Electrician Talk banner

How do you stay motivated?

14K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  MikeFL 
#1 ·

Sometimes you just need to remind yourself to keep going, whether business is booming or has slowed to a trickle. Your personal habits, your attitude and your ability to set a routine and stay dedicated to your business matter. Staying Motivated Busy or Slow
How do you stay motivated?

See less See more
#2 ·
I remember as a young entrepreneur when I first went out on my own, not my first job site but certainly in the first year, there was some digging to do. Not a lot of digging, maybe 100' or so, but it was in clay and it was raining. On that job I developed a saying I keep in my mind "the only way to get it done is to do it" and I use that to this day when facing a challenge I'd really rather not be facing. It doesn't come up often, but when it does, it reminds me of that job. And of course there's the satisfaction of having the task complete being no longer a lingering burden.

#7 ·
One of my friend's father was a foreman for the DOT, this was his motivational method. If there was a group gathered bitching and looking at what they had to do but not doing it, he'd say "OK quiet everyone let's together all wish as hard as we can at the same time and see if this miracles itself done." He'd close his eyes, hold his breath, make a face for a second, open them and say, "Did it work? No? Nothing? Goddamnit. OK, we tried. Get started NOW."

#8 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The thing that motivates me the most is denouncing trolls who spam this forum, especially ones who falsely claim they are electrical contractors when they are not.

Reactions: Max C.
#10 ·
Previously I needed no motivation boosters I love what I do. At age 66 (67 in a month) that motivation is starting to wain. The fact that I have 1.5 years left of alimony and then I can use MY MONEY as I see fit keeps me going and try to build up some retirement as I lost 80% of that in the settlement and I have that going for me.

When I hear women's rights I spit. It is not about equal rights, it is about taking what they can get without giving up anything they have presently under the law.

And for the record, we have a binding agreement yet my kids tell me she is talking about taking me to court as she feels she was swindled and screwed by me and her lawyer.

#36 ·
Previously I needed no motivation boosters I love what I do. At age 66 (67 in a month) that motivation is starting to wain. The fact that I have 1.5 years left of alimony and then I can use MY MONEY as I see fit keeps me going and try to build up some retirement as I lost 80% of that in the settlement and I have that going for me.

When I hear women's rights I spit. It is not about equal rights, it is about taking what they can get without giving up anything they have presently under the law.

And for the record, we have a binding agreement yet my kids tell me she is talking about taking me to court as she feels she was swindled and screwed by me and her lawyer.
I never had kids ,made sure my wife always had a job ,I kept busy and saw my wife 4 days a week we worked different shifts it worked out very well ,I was busy 7 days a week for 10 years ,I love to work I have twice the energy than my spouse,I am 59 years old now ,tons of energy still ,you must do what makes you happy and keep a marriage together not easy for sure..

Sent from my SM-A505U1 using Tapatalk

This post has been deleted
#22 ·
My wife and I were having a discussion about this, and this is the conclusion we both came to as to why I can only get my business so far. I love what I do too much to get out of the field and run a "Proper" organization.

But.... I think that just means I need to hire the right individual to run it for me!:biggrin:

#25 ·
hi Sparky
there are always light at the end of the tunnel - actually there are one light at each side You just need to have a look around the corner every one on this form were there at some stage (normally when things get tough in the business and i assure you it goes up and down the whole time so brace yourself - sorry this is not helping)
the main thing is to get up and work, the best way to get out of slump (or go the other way start drinking A LOT - see there are 2 lights :biggrin:)

i will send you a friend invite maybe this will help

#33 ·
This is the first job I have ever had that has not motivated me to find a different job.

Motivation is especially hard working by yourself. I usually procrastinate till there is some sort of pressure to get the job done or I find something more interesting to do for the day. That is the nice thing about always having something that needs done.

#35 ·
It's motivating being around people who have passion and have drive. Being around people who just come to work to get a paycheck, being around this will turn you into the same potato. Try your best to work your way into a position that is around someone who is motivating to be around. Someone that you can talk to about electrical theory and they will be willing and wanting to discuss these topics with you. Someone that works hard and can push you to be at that same level. Idk, you gotta be around someone with passion in this trade if you are feeling super down and unmotivated. That is how you flip the script. If you can't find this in your current company, or you find yourself doing the same ole repetitive stuff all the time. Talk to your boss, if he can't change it where you are doing new stuff all the time and learning. I'd leave... I work on the "construction" side of a service company and it's always something new all the time. It's motivating and I learn a lot. If all I did was change lamps and ballasts all day or dig or bend pipe and pull wire for months on end, then yeah I'd be sitting in your shoes. These are two big things that keep me motivated. You're already doing the right thing by seeking the help, that's huge. Wish you the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.