Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just talking to my niece and she told me that her T Mobile is more miss than hit. I get notices from AT&T that it is included in my package. I have 5G probably 30% of the time if I am lucky. I have a good friend and her office is on the other side of the river and I can see it from my house . She tells me that her 5G is more miss than hit and she too is on AT&T.
Like most technology improvements the new is not as good as old. But it is better because they told us it would be better.
LC

·
Registered
54 Posts
Was just talking to my niece and she told me that her T Mobile is more miss than hit. I get notices from AT&T that it is included in my package. I have 5G probably 30% of the time if I am lucky. I have a good friend and her office is on the other side of the river and I can see it from my house . She tells me that her 5G is more miss than hit and she too is on AT&T.
Like most technology improvements the new is not as good as old. But it is better because they told us it would be better.
LC

FWIW 5G service in my area appears to be excellent however it will show 4 bars of service and sometimes nothing will work - youtube, internet, phone calls..... I disabled it in settings (defaulted back to LTE) and my phone works great. I saw this video recently which reaffirmed my thoughts
Basically, 5G is in it's infancy and is not close to being as good or as reliable as 4G- and perhaps won't ever be. A lot of hype.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,781 Posts
The Verizon store guy told not to bother with the 5G. It is not all over, only in certain locations. I do not know what it is so can somebody explain it to me in easy to understand terms? I sometimes feel I want to go back to the beeper system. My brand new phone is sketchy at times and they did away with the hard buttons so now everything is touch screen. The new phones are too big to fit in my pockets and I will not wear a fanny pack. Verizon blames Google and you cannot talk with anyone. If you do then they do not speak clear English. I do not know if it is Verizon, Google, the Kyocera phone, or me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Verizon store guy told not to bother with the 5G. It is not all over, only in certain locations. I do not know what it is so can somebody explain it to me in easy to understand terms? I sometimes feel I want to go back to the beeper system. My brand new phone is sketchy at times and they did away with the hard buttons so now everything is touch screen. The new phones are too big to fit in my pockets and I will not wear a fanny pack. Verizon blames Google and you cannot talk with anyone. If you do then they do not speak clear English. I do not know if it is Verizon, Google, the Kyocera phone, or me.
Verizon is probably not the issue. If I were you I would buy an iphone and disable 5G on it. Simple. If you disable 5G then you default to 4G LTE, which is tried and true at this point. Capable phones today are touch screen, and it's the kind of thing you just need to get used to. Luckily most people have the same kinds of phone today and can instruct you on how to do something if you are fumbling with it. If you just want to make phone calls, they sell old people cell phones with the number pad, but no internet and the camera sucks. I'd say just get with the program, so to speak.

Regarding size of the phone, Apple just came out with iphone 13, and they have a mini version (similar in size to the original iphones).... it's called the 13 mini. They have 3 different sizes. The iPhone 13 Mini is 5.4 inches, the standard iPhone 13 and Pro models are both 6.1 inches and the Pro Max is 6.7 inches. I have the 6.7 inch one, because I'm overcompensating.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Verizon is probably not the issue. If I were you I would buy an iphone and disable 5G on it. Simple. If you disable 5G then you default to 4G LTE, which is tried and true at this point. Capable phones today are touch screen, and it's the kind of thing you just need to get used to. Luckily most people have the same kinds of phone today and can instruct you on how to do something if you are fumbling with it. If you just want to make phone calls, they sell old people cell phones with the number pad, but no internet and the camera sucks. I'd say just get with the program, so to speak.

Regarding size of the phone, Apple just came out with iphone 13, and they have a mini version (similar in size to the original iphones).... it's called the 13 mini. They have 3 different sizes. The iPhone 13 Mini is 5.4 inches, the standard iPhone 13 and Pro models are both 6.1 inches and the Pro Max is 6.7 inches. I have the 6.7 inch one, because I'm overcompensating.
It's not the smart phone It's the newer version of what I had. If the screen is wet or my hands are cold it does not detect anything so I wind up pressing or answering a call I don't want to. The old one had a back, home, and all clear hard button. Now it is touch screen and the buttons don't always show up. The old version was more reliable but then it was pre Covid. Now everybody is using their cell phones more. I tried the iPhone but the learning curve was not favorable.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,987 Posts
I don’t believe AT&T has true 5G.
What they claim is their version of 5G.
Verizon does have true 5G but it’s based on location. It works well for me. I switched from AT&T to Verizon last year when the new iPhone came out. It was a big difference.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,776 Posts
Is there/was there ever a need for 5G ?
I have no issues surfing and downloading with LTE. Is 5G so kids can watch high def TV on their phones ?
Or just so they can charge you more for "better" service ?

I'm not much of a tin hat kinda guy, but the number of towers they need for 5G ... no way is that good for anyone.

Reactions: backstay

·
Registered
Electrician
371 Posts
Two months ago I switched from Verizon to AT&T because my service was so bad, I figured AT&T had to be better. Even after I switched to AT& I still drop calls on a regular basis. Then they announced they are disabling the 3G network in Feb 2022, I'm on an iPhone XR so I figured I better get with the times and get a phone with 5G capabilities, I'm planning on getting one at Christmas time but after reading the other comments it doesn't seem encouraging.

·
Registered
65 Posts
5g is incredibly fast, and incredibly short range. Because of its short range, it is far more location dependant. In my opinion, it makes more sense as an urban ISP used mostly by stationary wifi hot spots than it does a mobile device network. If you do t need 5g speeds (can't think of a need for that speed in any mobile device) the. Stick to the much longer range LTE.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,987 Posts
Two months ago I switched from Verizon to AT&T because my service was so bad, I figured AT&T had to be better. Even after I switched to AT& I still drop calls on a regular basis. Then they announced they are disabling the 3G network in Feb 2022, I'm on an iPhone XR so I figured I better get with the times and get a phone with 5G capabilities, I'm planning on getting one at Christmas time but after reading the other comments it doesn't seem encouraging.
When I switched, the AT&T iPhone version was not 5G capable.
Check the specs closely.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
One of the things that I notice is that my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 is that if there are several wifi networks avaliable it cannot pick one out to talk on. So wifi calling does not work out side of my house.
The way my property is arranged my shop sets about 40' away from a apartment house with 4 wifi networks.
So my phone can't do wifi calls from my shop. Turn off wifi calling and it works fine.
LC

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,776 Posts
Your skipping from 3g up to 5g !??
There is still LTE in the middle. Dropping calls can happen on any "G". It depends where you are, and your provider.
No need changing out an XR if you ask me.

My earlier question still stands .... Why would anyone need 5G ????

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
983 Posts
5G or NO G it is all the same. Where I live there are huge spaces with NO G at all.

Verizon went from 3G to 4G in my area and I expected some issues in the beginning. 4G sucked, I had a running battle with big V for over a year. When I got some trouble shooter on the phone from the eastern seaboard. I asked one question. I did not move, the tower did not move, what is the problem? SILENCE. They even gave me a VOIP box for my internet service then bitched at me because the service was not fast enough for their equipment. I changed carriers!
I understand that currently 5G is mostly for data, so asking a new system for better voice is a waste of time and energy.
There are several cell phone tower maps and they can help with choosing a carrier.
Where I am going to move here in Southern Arizona I have purchased a 40' radio tower for my TV, radio and cell phone. I have talked to the boys from the old Bell company (my location) and they do not recommend a land line, DSL for get about it. Nice to be in the country again.

They lied out of their britches when they said digital phones were better. (remember that?)
I remember having my old Nokia with a antenna on the roof I trouble shot systems while driving in the boonies over the phone. The antenna on the roof made all of the difference. To bad our new phones got rid of that feature.

·
Registered
Electrician
371 Posts
Your skipping from 3g up to 5g !??
There is still LTE in the middle. Dropping calls can happen on any "G". It depends where you are, and your provider.
No need changing out an XR if you ask me.

My earlier question still stands .... Why would anyone need 5G ????
No not straight from 3G to 5G, my XR uses LTE with the 3G as a back up, so if AT&T does away with 3G I figured I should get a 5G phone with the LTE as the back up. Sorry I didn’t explain that better.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,569 Posts

I have a SE 2020 iPhone and it really is a solid bargain hitter. The camera is pretty good and the size is nice. It’s plenty fast for whatever I want to do with it. I’m glad I saved my money and got it. I think it was $399.00 out the door.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Who here can say their phone went thru the washing machine and still it works? My old Kyocera did along with drops and puddles. That is why I won't go Apple or Samsung.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts