Electrician Talk banner

How hack is this?

8K views 43 replies 26 participants last post by  Hippie 
#1 ·
rather than cutting holes in old plaster and drilling across a bunch of joists i did this today. i didnt have a metal box on the truck, if i had i wouldnt think twice about this but i didnt so its kinda iffy in retrospect. whats the verdict, hackwork or just a long tubular nail plate? (sheetrock is going back over the furring strips lol it wont be exposed)

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
My vote: Not hack.

Here, i would have to use connectors with plastic bushings. i think you might want to nail plate somehow next to the box where that NM is less than 1 1/4 from the surface of the strip.

#26 · (Edited)
MHElectric said:
I have only ran into one situation so far where someone screwed something into my wires. It was a new home and the geek squad ran a 3" lag bolt into my wire while mounting a flat screen tv. After some head scratching and investigation, we removed the bolt, cut about 1" off, and put it right back in. Breaker held after that. Some guys here talk about drywall screws in their wires like it happens every day. I also probably go a little overboard with nail plates too, but I dont see this happening much.
So you left the damaged wire in the wall?

#36 ·
I know it seems stupid but that pipe needs to be grounded in some way, shape or form. It may provide protection from physical damage, but should that romex become damaged (very unlikely) and come in contact with the EMT that would become a big conductor. I sleeved a ground wire with a piece of EMT where it went up a wall from a transformer once to make it look nice and got knocked down. Inspector said either swap it out and use PVC or put a kenny clamp on one end to grab the ground wire. In your case if you used a metal box at the end it would be legit.

#37 ·
Steel studs don't have to be bonded, so why would this EMT sleeve (not a raceway) need to be bonded? It is just as likely for a fault to occur in a steel stud system behind drywall as this piece of EMT. Am I way off base with this thought?

#42 ·
robmac85 said:
I know it seems stupid but that pipe needs to be grounded in some way, shape or form. It may provide protection from physical damage, but should that romex become damaged (very unlikely) and come in contact with the EMT that would become a big conductor. I sleeved a ground wire with a piece of EMT where it went up a wall from a transformer once to make it look nice and got knocked down. Inspector said either swap it out and use PVC or put a kenny clamp on one end to grab the ground wire. In your case if you used a metal box at the end it would be legit.
yeah but what you're describing is a straight up code requirement. 250.64(E)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.