Electrician Talk banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
We have too much work and don't need the pain in the @ss factor that comes with this job. We would refer the customer to a different EC.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Sub out the instalation side of the job,
Then when it's instaled you just come along and wire it up.
Easy for you
No risk to you
Happy customer
$$$$

·
Registered
528 Posts
The key with a crystal chandelier is "take it easy." From experience:

Unpack everything using great care to ensure nothing becomes damaged (its surprisingly easy to scratch a crystal). Spread out your parts in logically-organized piles.

Ensure every single piece is present. The last thing you want is to find out half a dozen minute wire clips are missing just as you're about to finish the install.

Pay attention to layout-patterns as per the instructions. I cannot stress this enough.

Double check to make sure you have all the bulbs.

If it takes a stupidly long-time to install, charge accordingly.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Back in the 80s I worked on a resort hotel that had a fixture like that . It was 30 feet tall and 60 foot across at the top . I worked on that thing for months and months with a foreman and a J-man . Yes it came in a box well several 53' shipping containers and we used every lift known to man at the time and a couple of forklifts . It had its own 200 amp service and some crazy dimming system . The best part was it was over a water feature .

I would work on that in a second if the chance ever popped up .

·
Registered
343 Posts
I say T&M only. Does the customer want quality or cheap price? I think I would let them know up front that it could take you and an assistant between 3 and .... hours depending on the situation and all that is required in order to do a proper job. And, if the fixture is worth more than a $1,000.00 I would probably make them pay for an additional insurance rider just for that fixture. - It might not be so bad if the customer doesn't mind you taking your time. (Because it is most likely going to take some real time.) With that said, I still say try and use some of your good judgement; if it's a super fussy customer who might complain if one crystal is scratched, then I'd probably try to get out of it too, even if I had to say my company just doesn't do those types of fixtures.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The key with a crystal chandelier is "take it easy." From experience:

Unpack everything using great care to ensure nothing becomes damaged (its surprisingly easy to scratch a crystal). Spread out your parts in logically-organized piles.

Ensure every single piece is present. The last thing you want is to find out half a dozen minute wire clips are missing just as you're about to finish the install.

Pay attention to layout-patterns as per the instructions. I cannot stress this enough.

Double check to make sure you have all the bulbs.

If it takes a stupidly long-time to install, charge accordingly.
Definitely good advice.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I consider hanging crystals as a non electrician job. I would rather poke my eyes out with a stick than unpack and hang all of those crystals. I would not be that good at it either. I would wire and hang the light and sub the hanging of crystals to someone, probably someone female. Most men I have worked with seem to lack the patience and skills to deal with this well.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,743 Posts
I consider hanging crystals as a non electrician job. I would rather poke my eyes out with a stick than unpack and hang all of those crystals. I would not be that good at it either. I would wire and hang the light and sub the hanging of crystals to someone, probably someone female. Most men I have worked with seem to lack the patience and skills to deal with this well.
For the right price I'll hang crystals all day long.

·
Registered
14,472 Posts
It's an LED fixture with all of the electronics way up top.

The LEDs pump light down the fibre strands to the crystals.

So it's not like the usual fixtures most are thinking of.

Anything that artsy is going to go for a MINT.

And just by the looks, the home owner is going to be VERY picky.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts