Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone, just finished a shed. Amazing huh. Consisted of 6, 2 - lamp open faced T-8 fixtures w/5000k lamps, a 50a welding outlet, exterior motion light, 30a electric heater circuit, and 4 Double duplex receptacle with mulburrys. Also had to install line voltage T - stat for electric unit.

Extras:
Heater needed bracket manufactured which we took care of with some 7/8 unistrut some strut fittings, and 3/8 threaded rod, the a T - stat for heater was later requested, and ultimately a completely different unit was ordered to take its place after they were not happy with the results (YES the heater was sized more than adequate for his shed) so a different bracket was made for the new unit. I personally would have went with an I.R. Heater ABSOLUTELY most efficient in places like that. Also receptacles were asked to be relocated just 2' about installed location due to his layout. No sweat really.

Hold Ups;
Only hold up was when I had to penetrate the brick and landed directly on a metal stud that had to be cut for a 3" pvc. Aha ha I know 3" P.V.C for a 100 a sub panel?? Wtf! The facilities manager " had some guys with some extra stock". Whatever I'll figure it out. I blasted through the stud in about 8 min, so I was pleased it went smooth, then piped about 5' to the left, made a couple bends, installed 2 pieces of 7/8 unistrut with some strut clips and tied in the breakers.

The shed was 12x15, wooden studs, me and another completely inexperienced helper,I'm talking useless as tits on a bull. I didn't lay the pvc. Just installed expansion fitting, reducing fitting, offset fitting and that's it, then terminated the PVC run at my panrl, etc. Inside my electric room i piped maybe 10' and installed a 12x12x4 splice can.

I don't have many pics but what would you say for time? Any good software recommendations?

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
It just looks a little bit weird, seeing metal boxes and raised covers being fed with NM.

Also, it looks ...... (not sure what word to use) .... seeing gasoline storage adjacent to duplex receptacles in metal boxes being fed with NM.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It just looks a little bit weird, seeing metal boxes and raised covers being fed with NM.

Also, it looks ...... (not sure what word to use) .... seeing gasoline storage adjacent to duplex receptacles in metal boxes being fed with NM.
Looks sketch? I agree i told him my concerns about that, he placed the containers on the floor, by now they are probably right back on that shelf.

How come no metal boxes? And no NM?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I could milk that job for about 2 days..:laughing:

I would have sold T-5 HO's for that however because it will be cold in there most of the time.

Romex is fine, but I would have sold it in EMT just for the fun of it.
T5 H.O were not needed, the T-8 ' s will start at 0 degrees, and provided more than ample light. I LOVE T-5's though.

EMT?? Yea maybe but they wanted this done in 1 day. It took me about 14-15 hrs all said and done. Little bit slow but I honest think a 2nd guy held me up a little.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Looks sketch? I agree i told him my concerns about that, he placed the containers on the floor, by now they are probably right back on that shelf.
Yea, people are going to do what they are going to do. Probably never a problem, but it's just that one oh chit that causes all the mess, :laughing:
How come no metal boxes? And no NM?
I wasn't saying you couldn't use that, it's just when I use NM, I mostly use non metallic boxes, and it just looked ... different (aka, weird). :) No insult intended.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
T5 H.O were not needed, the T-8 ' s will start at 0 degrees, and provided more than ample light. I LOVE T-5's though.

EMT?? Yea maybe but they wanted this done in 1 day. It took me about 14-15 hrs all said and done. Little bit slow but I honest think a 2nd guy held me up a little.
I hope you charged them premium time for that last 8 hours...:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, people are going to do what they are going to do. Probably never a problem, but it's just that one oh chit that causes all the mess, :laughing: I wasn't saying you couldn't use that, it's just when I use NM, I mostly use non metallic boxes, and it just looked ... different (aka, weird). :) No insult intended.
I do agree about the NM being protected a little more. Maybe sleeve a couple THHN down to receptacle from a 4" mounted at the Top plate? I like that idea, only thing is my flag boxes only had clamp style K.O.

I would have used plastics, however, I was thinking metal flag boxes would be a little bit less flexible, this guy seems to plug in cords the same way rocky gave uppercuts.

Thanks for the comments, guys, I know your not insulting me, I appreciate your input, next time I think I'm going to do EMT sleeving some THHN down to receptacles....I am still thinking about those gas jugs next to the outlet though. I know the second I left he put them right back on the shelf. I'm going to swing by next week and ask how everything's been, if those gas jugs are there I'm going to bust his balls and put the jugs in my truck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope you charged them premium time for that last 8 hours...:)
What do you mean? Took too long? I sort of agree. But i don't think it could have taken a day for 1 person. If i wasn't trying to get the NM runs as neat as possible I would have saved that time, the heater he purchased needed to have the control jumpers and wattage terminal board re-configured, etc. Also I was pulled off it for an hour to disconnect a roof top unit due to leakage under its platform, little things that take me out of my rhythm and it's like wtf.

Looking at it I said to myself, if i can't finish this is one day I'll quit my job, things just took longer than expected....I'm now throwing out applications =(. Lol.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Wow a shed.
In romex.
I'm impressed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's cute. Maybe one day you'll make it to the big time...
Lol.... Islandguy, islandguy, island guy.. enough huh? I KNOW I HURT YOUR FEELINGS, I even think I said I'm sorry....pick your balls up and get over it, yea??. I don't insult all your posts. Just the ones would completely fail inspection, in the eyes of an apprentice. I'm just looking out, Don't be mad about it. Are argument happen 3 days ago, did it really get to you that much? IM SORRY i shouldn't have insulted you. I have inferiority complex, i was diagnosed in this forum recently, I'm working on it!

What's your address I'll send you an edible arrangement, their delicious. Then maybe we can look past our differences? Huh? I still won't like you, but we can be cordial yes?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later