Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your at a house all alone and don't feel like going up and down the stairs trying to figure out what breakers turns off what, so you shut the main down out of laziness..

·
Registered
659 Posts
Your at a house all alone and don't feel like going up and down the stairs trying to figure out what breakers turns off what, so you shut the main down out of laziness..

EXTREMELY hungover early Saturday at a big church addition.

Nobody seemed to be there, so I shut the main off to go replace some outlets and whatnot.

Almost forgot to turn it back on :laughing: :thumbup:

Inb4 trolls calling us hacks.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
I've shut off feeders in new commercial/industrial builds when it wasn't totally necessary. But only to spite some dbag that pissed me off. The best is when you catch them poking around the panel afterwards looking for a breaker to turn on, then you get to scream at people

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
I had to repair some pushbuttons on an industrial sandblaster on a Saturday and I forgot to turn it back on. They figured it out pretty quickly on Monday morning. :)

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
At my old job I used to love to make them shut down the whole plant just to fix something simple. I got a call when they were comming back up from a shut down. They has some equipment that wouldn't start up. It was all in one mcc section and one other section. They didn't have any power to the mcc's. I got to looking and found they forgot to turn on two 1200 amp bolt switches in a 20 switch lineup. Since there are the style of bolt switches that always like to blow up when energized I told them they had to shut the plant down so we could shut off one of the 5000kva transformers so that we could turn on two switches. They thought I was joking as they were already grinding corn and running starch through the first set of centrifuges so the next set of feed tanks was filling fast. They through a fit that they were 3 hours into starting up and had to shut back down just for that.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts

All the time for resi service calls where finding the breaker takes longer than the job .....

~CS~

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'll just short it instead, shutting off the main sometimes will not reset..:no:
It's good to excercise breakers if you can. Tried to shut off a hospitals main during a reno, and it didn't move, or trip. Years in the same position, and riggomortice sets in.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
Im guilty of shutting off the main and shorting out circuits.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
...........shutting off the main sometimes will not reset..:no:
Funny you should mention that. I have a main switchboard with CT cabinet ordered for a building that is being renovated. The 1200 main breaker will NOT move.....can't turn it off. One of my guys, a 200 pound man stood on the handle and it wont budge:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
21,917 Posts
Be careful with shutting off mains. I have had to that to test stuff and found the breaker could not be reset. Some of those old mains can be trouble especially if it is in a damp location.

Reactions: BababooeyHTJ

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Here comes the Shockdoc bashing. I look around to assure confidentiality. Then i take hot and slap it to grounded. If it doesn't trip after 3 strikes i work live. Most trip on 1st strike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As an absolute last resort I have . On homes older than 1970's if I can't safely work hot & I am frustrated by the panel schedule or lack thereof

·
Watt Pusher
2,502 Posts
Here comes the Shockdoc bashing. I look around to assure confidentiality. Then i take hot and slap it to grounded. If it doesn't trip after 3 strikes i work live. Most trip on 1st strike.
"slapping" it to neutral would trip it more reliably, would it not?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts