Electrician Talk banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
Be careful with shutting off mains. I have had to that to test stuff and found the breaker could not be reset. Some of those old mains can be trouble especially if it is in a damp location.
This worries me any time that I have to kill the main on an older panel. Particularly those older Murray panels

IBEW L.U. 1852
On the plus side though guys....if the main is screwed and you can't shut it off or can't reset it......then you get to sell a service(or at least a panel) upgrade.:thumbsup:

cool cat
I usually slap the the hot to ground however I'm a little more cautious than in my younger days.I pulled that trick in a recently installed tile bathroom and the molten copper drops made a nice pattern embedded in the custom tile job.So now I'm a little more selective of when and where I trip the breaker.:blink:

Registered
Are you guys in this for the long haul or not?

Buy a proper circuit tracer for Pete's sake before you kill yourselves!:eek: If you buy a good one and spread the cost over 10-20 years, it's only a few bucks a year.

I use an Amprobe AT-2005 that I've had for 6 years now. I can't imagine going without it, especially when I'm working in restaurant or office building panels.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts