Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
One thing that makes sense is that water at a lower latitude is warmer and therefore costs less to turn into steam.
We've always had good pricing in Florida.

But in Canada they are hydro driven (no fuel input cost) and they're still pretty high.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
390 Posts
I stopped doing estimated bills because they would ALWAYS be higher than if I was billed normally and they could never give me a reasonable explanation as to why.

We were home a lot through December (wife works from home full time, I work from home about half) plus with the heat and all the Christmas decorations, our last bill was around $350. Normally the only other bills that are close to that high are during the hottest months.
In my case the estimate is low, so I will get billed for the difference this month. For the past few years I have heated with a outdoor wood boiler to keep the electric down, but I finally had enough of welding inside of it to patch holes twice a year, and haven't used it this winter, so my historic use is lower then what it will be this winter.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,939 Posts
One thing that makes sense is that water at a lower latitude is warmer and therefore costs less to turn into steam.
We've always had good pricing in Florida.

But in Canada they are hydro driven (no fuel input cost) and they're still pretty high.
Looking at other peoples bills it looks like our base charge is higher than most thanks to the snow birds.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
This year here in PG&E country,we go to TOU metering. (Time Of Use ). During the summer months between the hours of 4:00 pm and 9:00 pm , we will charged up to 42 cents per KWH if you go over the base line..don't even know what the base line is yet, but yikes! I will be up there...:confused:
I sent you a pm @radio208

·
Registered
C-10 Electrical Contractor
393 Posts
11.38 cents in new Brunswick.
Plus $25 fee, plus 15% tax.
Last bill was $450.. next will likely be over 500.
Not horrible as the house is 150 years old, drafty in a few spots and baseboard heat.
OUCH!
I heat & cook w/wood & propane, propane wh, average bill is $35 p/mo.
It gets cold in the Sierra Nevada's, but nothing like Canada. Did my house to Manual J standards with a ERV

21 - 40 of 50 Posts