Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I live in Canada and I do small electrical side jobs. I feel that I'm always under charging because I do not know what an electrical contractor charges for the work. I recently ran into a service call where the home owners main 100 amp breaker was bad and needed to be changed out. It is connected directly to the main service. My question is how much would an electrical contractor charge for the home owner to do this?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Someone with more authority will be along shortly to explain and lock this thread, but I'll tell you what they'll tell you:

We have NO way of knowing what YOU should charge for anything. Figure your cost, add the profit you want to make, and that's the price.

At any rate, questions like this are not allowed here....and that is why.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
Price = Material + Labor + Overhead + Profit.

If you can't figure the 4 variable with any accuracy, you shouldn't be in business. If you are in business, and still can't figure them, you won't be in business for long.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Price = Material + Labor + Overhead + Profit.

If you can't figure the 4 variable with any accuracy, you shouldn't be in business. If you are in business, and still can't figure them, you won't be in business for long.
no need to be rude. thanks

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
no need to be rude. thanks
Not being rude. It's called being in business.

If you're looking for a dollar-amount answer, it cannot be given. How much contractor A will charge is different than what contractor B will charge.

Each EC has different CODBs, pricing structures, margins, etc.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,936 Posts
Hi there, I live in Canada and I do small electrical side jobs. I feel that I'm always under charging because I do not know what an electrical contractor charges for the work. I recently ran into a service call where the home owners main 100 amp breaker was bad and needed to be changed out. It is connected directly to the main service. My question is how much would an electrical contractor charge for the home owner to do this?
I would charge about $60, but for that price the homeowner drives and we go to Homedepot together and he pays for all the material as well as lunch.

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
I do small electrical side jobs. I feel that I'm always under charging because I do not know what an electrical contractor charges for the work.
Are you telling me you want to know what a contractor charges, so you can raise your prices, but still cut the throat of said contractor?

You don't have to answer, get lost side jobber.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
BBQ said:
Why is a mod answering DIY questions and not closing the thread?
To up his post count...... DUH!!!!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Why is a mod answering DIY questions and not closing the thread?
I thought it was pretty obvious that this was a homeowner who just had his main breaker replaced, thinks he got ripped off and wants to use some info he gets here to beat down the electrician he hired to do the job.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this one doesn't pass the sniff test.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.