Electrician Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already gave the lady a price on this mobile wiring (that i really dont want to do) but want to see what others charge preferably from small shops or solo guys.

It's a single wide mobile home built manufactured in 1983 but recently gutted and remodeled from what she told me. I came out and looked at it and the place is nice nothing like what Cletus lives in:laughing:

I'd say it's 12' wide by 50' long. She wants 2 motion sensor flood lights on the one side of the place by the front door and the other one down the other end. She also wants 3 outdoor outlets one on one side and the two on the other side about 30' apart.

She bought these cheap flood lights already 250 watt Zenith from Lowes i think. I told her everything from HD and Lowes is junk and recommened RAB lights but she said lets start wit these.

What do you got on this $$$ ?

Also there isn't any existing outdoor circuit. There is one outdoor outlet they tapped off a circuit inside the house. I plan on using an abandoned range circuit that is copper and hanging underneath to use for all the outdoor stuff. They used to have electric range now it's propane.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
...I plan on using an abandoned range circuit that is copper and hanging underneath to use for all the outdoor stuff. They used to have electric range now it's propane.
You going to ring it out just the same > ?

Well you going to widdle down the circuit to fit a 20 amp breaker?

You going to put a switch in front of the motion lights? Some nights with weather one might not want light's because of the weather!

$650.00

Three circuits, scrap the oven circuit...

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You going to ring it out just the same > ?

Well you going to widdle down the circuit to fit a 20 amp breaker?

You going to put a switch in front of the motion lights? Some nights with weather one might not want light's because of the weather!

$650.00

Three circuits, scrap the oven circuit...
Getting a circuit up into the panel would be a friggin nightmare. The panel is in a closet in the back of the trailer on an interior wall of the closet. I looked underneath at the panel location and it is full of metal duct work and the trailer axle and other crap. The range circuit is hanging down under the front of the trailer easy to get to.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I'm recessing the outlets not using bell boxes but for the 2 floods I'm using the round bell boxes.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
I wouldn't even bother giving a price.

It's a mobile home keep on driving

·
Registered
886 Posts
Actually those panels are typically sent from the factory to have a piece of conduit that goes straight down and it's fairly easy to string a romex in next to that. We are more likely to get stiffed by a yuppie than a mobile home owner.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
Actually those panels are typically sent from the factory to have a piece of conduit that goes straight down and it's fairly easy to string a romex in next to that. We are more likely to get stiffed by a yuppie than a mobile home owner.
Are you confusing this with a modular home?

There is a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have also never seen one that did not have a piece of conduit for the feeder coming straight down from the panel. I would be more in the area of 900 for this job. We like to figure about $100 per outlet and add a little breather room. Figure about eight hours of work and try and get it done in six.

·
Banned
261 Posts
How about getting the range circuit into a small load center and pulling circuits out of that?
Are you installing conduit or trying to conceal it?

I like that idea, pick up something like this, swing the cable to the exterior and run your circuits off that, no wall fishing. Can you just use UF under the trailer and secure it somehow?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I like that idea, pick up something like this, swing the cable to the exterior and run your circuits off that, no wall fishing. Can you just use UF under the trailer and secure it somehow?
Why do I need all these circuits for an old lady that lives by herself in a mobile home?:laughing: I just used the range circuit and put it in a metal jbox screwed to the frame.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
sparkyforlife said:
Why does it matter? It was 8-3 copper.
I probably would have done the same thing. #8 will fit in most 15-20 amp breakers so you could get a MWBC out of that and use a double 15 or 20 and call it a day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts