Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background info on me, Im 18 years old went to a vo tech high school where i got a certificate in basic residential, commercial, and industrial electric. I have a certificate for PLCs, Communications, and Fiber Optics. Got advanced on my state computer and hands on tests.
Well i work for a union company and i run the shop BY MYSELF. I accept all deliveries. Deliver to all jobs driving company vehicles, and do a little pre wiring on devices such as receptacles, light fixtures, panels etc. I organize the shop daily and sort out everything that comes back from jobs such as gang boxes material carts etc. I know about 95% of material and have all my own tools and know how to use all power tools. Also i drive the forklift if that matters lol . Just curious to see how much you guys think i should be making an hour WITH NO BENEFITS.
Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Depends on where you are and more importantly what do you think you should make? What number comes to mind that makes you feel secure paying your bills, adding to savings and some spending cash. Shop guys tend to make less then field guys so don't expect the world.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok put it this way i make less then a first year first period apprentice... And i might be 18 but i pay for everything myself my monthly bills are over $1,000. Not including the 80$ a week in gas to get to work.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Like Kryptes said, you are most likely always going to make less than the electricians in the field.

Why don't you apply for an apprenticeship (or keep applying if you already have)?

I assume that you are not part of the collective bargaining unit and as such I also assume that you don't have a "pay scale". It seems your pay has to be negotiated by you.

So... ask for a raise.

Pete

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
If you've been working there for that long and they won't indenture you, you need to gtfo of there. Scumbags.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If it is a union shop you should make what a laborer from there local makes. In pgh it is 21.92 an hr or 60% of that for an apprentice 13.15

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
guy2073 said:
If it is a union shop you should make what a laborer from there local makes. In pgh it is 21.92 an hr or 60% of that for an apprentice 13.15
Not true. Lots of union shops employ unindentured hands.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not true. Lots of union shops employ unindentured hands.
It is not common in my area, pgh is still a very large union area.

I was just giving him a baseline of where he should be at. Around here 13.15 an hour is a fair rate for a goodshopman driver. When i see union rates are 15 an hr in north carolina 13.15 is too much. That is why he should find his local rate.

After two years they should bring you in as an apprentice.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Default How much should a shop guy make ?
The question as well as that line of thinking is flawed. There is no should involved. In a free market economy, we are in control of what we earn. If you want more money, take steps to earn it.

The law mandates a minimum wage. Anything you get above that is, for the most part, up to you.

And....you have been working there since you were 16? I'm thinking you should have stayed in s chool <purposely misspelled.

And, to the administrators, this kind of advertising crosses the line (school) It makes it look like I am endorsing a product simply because I used a certain word.

As my little rebellion, in the future, I am going to start posting things like, This school ripped me off :)

WTF....now it is gone. I was ranting about the links that appeared on certain words (school in this case) but now I don't see any so....my protest worked!!! Fight the power!!

Or maybe they disappeared because I edited 12 times :jester:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
ponyboy said:
If you've been working there for that long and they won't indenture you, you need to gtfo of there. Scumbags.
The shops here don't end entire shop guys, only field guys doing electricL work. The shop guys are not included in the collective bargaining. They are just hired help. Low pay and crappy work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The shops here don't end entire shop guys, only field guys doing electricL work. The shop guys are not included in the collective bargaining. They are just hired help. Low pay and crappy work.
Thats how they beat the union contract here in CA too. Obryant Electric out of Local 11 uses all these "summer helpers", oh wait they are called "pre apprentices" now to build all the "pre fabricated" material that the JW's have to install.

Basically, the union contract is a bunch of tomfoolery, but I am not fooled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey and since you aren't union, either get yourself included in the collective bargaining and get represented by the IBEW, or continue to get screwed.

I would call your local IBEW and tell them you wish to be represented as a "material handler" and to send their Organizer over to assist you. That should get some god damn good laughs, and maybe will wake you up to the larger problem than the USA is in a big pile of crap.

If you want someone to blame, start with your parents and basically everyone of their generation. It surely isn't the youngsters who made this policy.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
btharmy said:
I understand that's how it works but there's usually a mutual understanding that the shop hand will be put in the program after so long in the shop. I've heard of shop owners promising guys they'd put them in the apprenticeship after a summer of unindentured work and then never do it. That's bad news in Iowa because if you're working and not in a formal apprenticeship you can kiss those hours goodbye because they're not recognized anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I understand that's how it works but there's usually a mutual understanding that the shop hand will be put in the program after so long in the shop. I've heard of shop owners promising guys they'd put them in the apprenticeship after a summer of unindentured work and then never do it. That's bad news in Iowa because if you're working and not in a formal apprenticeship you can kiss those hours goodbye because they're not recognized anymore.
HA HA HA.

Mutual understanding=Contract not in writing, not enforceable.

If you aren't a sharklawyerelectrician, you will never make any money, you can COUNT on that. Just read the forum for the past ten years, and you will know I am right.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Our shop guys were just shop guys. They don't perform ANY electrical work. Just receive, stock, inventory and deliver material. They also clean the shop, strip scrap wire, make supply house runs and so on. They had no chance of being indentured as long as they remained in the shop. If they want to be an apprentice they need to get out of the shop and into the field.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Our shop guys were just shop guys. They don't perform ANY electrical work. Just receive, stock, inventory and deliver material. They also clean the shop, strip scrap wire, make supply house runs and so on. They had no chance of being indentured as long as they remained in the shop. If they want to be an apprentice they need to get out of the shop and into the field.
Same here. We have a head guy over our warehouse and he does pretty good. The rest of the stockers/organizers/deliverers don't make so much. It's not crap wages by any means but they don't make JW pay.

I'd say someone in your position would be 2nd-ish year wages.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Sounds like the entitlement mentality of your generation to me. You should make what your worth based on your knowledge and production, not a wage based on what some other guy makes just because you've been there as long as he has. That's always been my complaint about unions but I don't want to open that can of worms, it's a big, nasty, smelly can of 12" flesh eating night crawlers. Haha

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your credentials sound really good for your age, and your potential excellent, however if your harboring a bitter attitude and it shows to those cutting the checks your future may not be so bright. You've been in the trade for two years, your taking the test next month, slow down, and relax you've got the next 33 years or so to get bitter and feel cheated by your coworkers, lol!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.