Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Is the friend of a friend a friend of yours?

If not I would think normal rates would apply. That friend of a friend could turn into a pain in the rear...

Pete

·
Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
A friend of a friend is called a referral, charge accordingly.
This!

Putting three 3' hi heights a light fan combo two gfis and small speaker system. Normally don't do this but it's for a friend if a friend
If you are really asking us what to charge how in the world would we know given the lack of detail here, and given that we have NO idea what it costs to run YOUR business?

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
Putting three 3' hi heights a light fan combo two gfis and small speaker system. Normally don't do this but it's for a friend if a friend
3 old work hi hats with trims, S1 switch and bulbs $840
Install fan light combo $180
2 GFCI being replaced $80
2 GFCI's installed with new home runs to panel $700
Speaker system $500 Flat fee.

Total $1680-$2300 -10% friend of friend discount :thumbup:

That's my cost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Giorgio.g said:
3 old work hi hats with trims, S1 switch and bulbs $840
Install fan light combo $180
2 GFCI being replaced $80
2 GFCI's with home runs to panel $700
Speaker system $500 Flat fee.

Total $2300 -10% friend of friend discount =$2070 :thumbup:

That's my cost.
Thank you I appreciate the answer sounds fair

·
Registered
988 Posts
Well, your not licensed or insured and your just doing a favor for a friend. Any prices you get from guys here aren't gonna be fair for you to charge because you have no overhead and can't legally do the work anyway. Before I was licensed and I did side work I would charge what I was comfortable getting for the job, NOT what the going rate is for a legit contractor. Charge 50 an hour and call it a day.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Charge what you would charge anyone. A friend of a friend is not your friend.

I started charging my own friends full price when they started calling me to change light bulbs and other stupid stuff they could do themselves. Especially the ones I usually only hear from when they need work done. Then everyone thinks he's a friend. Its not like they are offering to come cut my grass in return, or let me sleep with their wife. Advice is free to friends. One used to work with me and he can do most basic stuff. The other day he called wanting a price on doing a job I know he could do himself. So he got full price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.