Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

at the job other day noticed temp power panel feed was fubar. told supervisor it needed to be fixed. this was his solution. asked me to do it. i said kiss my grits. so he found some dip tard that said yes. p.s. the cord is worse down the line. bare copper and burn holes every where

·
Registered
31,849 Posts
View attachment 31701

at the job other day noticed temp power panel feed was fubar. told supervisor it needed to be fixed. this was his solution. asked me to do it. i said kiss my grits. so he found some dip tard that said yes. p.s. the cord is worse down the line. bare copper and burn holes every where

WHY!
Why was a single conductor ran outside an enclosure or conduit?
It is temporary (how long is this temporary to last)
Was the cable damaged or just the insulation

You do understand how tape works?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i under stand. it b.s. s.o. cord under sized conductors. unsafe dont care how u see it. right is right say anything u get fired. all about production safety out the window.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Perhaps a short reminder of quick fixes @ the next safety meeting would be appropo? ~CS~

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
yeah i under stand. it b.s. s.o. cord under sized conductors. unsafe dont care how u see it. right is right say anything u get fired. all about production safety out the window.
I missed that part where a war widow and her three starving children perished.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
For temp power, and an SO cord, tape will do just fine.

Lot of jobs we do, temp power is usually just SE cable running through the building. SO is quite a bit more pricey than that, and it can take a good beating.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
If jason gets this worked up over a compliant repair of rubber temp cord, he'd probably have a coronary if he had an actual problem to deal with.

Reactions: Charlie K

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
View attachment 31701

You may want to take some training, OSHA allows tape to be used to repair rubber cord.

·
Registered
31,849 Posts
You may want to take some training, OSHA allows tape to be used to repair rubber cord.
That surprises me. In my QUICK response I did not notice it was SO or SJO, but my response would be the same.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I guess it depends on the conditions. if that cord is getting whacked by tradesmen every day going up and down the stairs (in the pic), maybe it is unsafe. maybe not. hard to say.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there is no osha where i work safety is not an issue to the company. its about production. its the main feed to a 480 panel that feeds sub panels and welding leads. the wire has been over used patched and repaired sorry only pic i got or u would see the whole picture. as far as getting worked up probably am ive been next to a feed like that one before that arced out sent slag all over burned the mess outa me and two others. sure are alot of smart company sucks out there

·
Registered
31,849 Posts
there is no osha where i work safety is not an issue to the company. its about production. its the main feed to a 480 panel that feeds sub panels and welding leads. the wire has been over used patched and repaired sorry only pic i got or u would see the whole picture. as far as getting worked up probably am ive been next to a feed like that one before that arced out sent slag all over burned the mess outa me and two others. sure are alot of smart company sucks out there
As an owner I have to be a company sucker.

I just do not see the issue for TEMPORARY. Sorry your feelings were hurt.:)

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
....as your career continues you will chit 100x worst than this that has been in service for years....budgets get slashed every single year by pencil pushing j-offs and you will learn to do as you are told if you want to feed your family....make notes of who told you and when you were told if you want......when and if you get your own shop you can do it right....until then welcome to the new real world....osha...staff now vs 1980 look that up....happy turkey day kid:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
happy gobble day to u to sir. i just think it sucks our trade has gone so downhill im a third generation tradesman who thinks of safety before anything else. if it looks stupid dont do it thats what i was taught. not profit first employees last.

·
Registered
31,849 Posts
im not a hater guys. nor get angry just worked up every body has opinions thats what makes us human
Not sure what the work load is in your town, but if they are truly not safe, I would consider looking for a new job.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts