Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
I've been doing it wrong for 20+ years. I've been removing the sheath..... I'm supposed to be removing the casing.

And I don't add ground wires to the mess... I just leave 'em long enough to not need it.

And I use wire nuts, not the recommended wire caps.

And I install 3-gang boxes for 3 switches, not a 2-gang.

And I don't install the devices before the wall is installed... I wait until after the painter is done.

And I use Phillips screwdrivers, not the ancient flat type.

And I use a cordless.

And I don't bother not trying not to scratch the 'casing' on the wires. But I am concerned with the insulation.......

Damn, I'm dumb.

But I didn't see anything about a 3-way in the fluster-f&@$ of a video.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,474 Posts
I've been doing it wrong for 20+ years. I've been removing the sheath..... I'm supposed to be removing the casing.

And I don't add ground wires to the mess... I just leave 'em long enough to not need it.

And I use wire nuts, not the recommended wire caps.

And I install 3-gang boxes for 3 switches, not a 2-gang.

And I don't install the devices before the wall is installed... I wait until after the painter is done.

And I use Phillips screwdrivers, not the ancient flat type.

And I use a cordless.

And I don't bother not trying not to scratch the 'casing' on the wires. But I am concerned with the insulation.......

Damn, I'm dumb.

But I didn't see anything about a 3-way in the fluster-f&@$ of a video.
While you're at it, the wires that you left long for the grounds, maybe just loop the feed for both switches instead of pig tailing.
But I agree, you're dumb!:laughing::jester:

·
Registered
119 Posts
RGH said:
......ok for the homeowner types....me I would of looped grounds and feeds and been done with that mess....zoom bang next.:thumbsup:
I just hate it when guys leave those loops between the devices too short so you have to take them all out in order to take out one switch or device.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nukie Poo said:
I just hate it when guys leave those loops between the devices too short so you have to take them all out in order to take out one switch or device.
I completely agree. A real pain in the A$$ when I need to go back and put dimmers in. I always leave deprecate grounds and feeds for each switch.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Nothing inherently wrong with what he did. The install is safe enough. No fire or shock hazards there but his work is sloppy and amatuerish at best. He would make a good apprentice someday.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Anyone here ever use utility knife with a hook blade to rip down Romex? It's my favorite way of doing it.
Always used it on multi conductor cables. Not much Romex here except for temp light & power. NM strips easily enough with a slight squeeze with a t-stripper, then yank the sheave right off. The new "sim-pull" stuff is nothing like the Romex I installed decades ago.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later