Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my normal journeyman just had surgery on his shoulder. I'm now stuck with working with a real winner. But that's besides the point. The new journeyman told me that he wants me to wear my tools at all times unless I'm drilling holes for a rough in. I know that he's the boss on site so I do as I'm asked. It's just that I was pulling some home runs, just to the box, not making them up, and he wanted me to wear my tools. Doesn't make any sense to me. Why carry around all that extra weight when I'm going to be up and down a ladder all day. Also he didn't say anything about them till the owner showed up. So back to the original question how often do you wear your tools. I have found that I'm more of a pocket person.

·
Senile Member
373 Posts
I wear my pouch as little as possible now, after32 years in the trade.You should not complain as an apprentice about wearing your tools though. If your Jman wants you to have your tools on,then do it. That will show that you are ready for whatever task is asked of you. However, there are times when ther is no reason to have all your tool hanging on your side when only a screwdriver and a pair of dikes are needed. A good Jman knows that,but sometimes company policy dictates always wearing your pouch.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wear my pouch as little as possible now, after32 years in the trade.You should not complain as an apprentice about wearing your tools though. If your Jman wants you to have your tools on,then do it. That will show that you are ready for whatever task is asked of you. However, there are times when ther is no reason to have all your tool hanging on your side when only a screwdriver and a pair of dikes are needed. A good Jman knows that,but sometimes company policy dictates always wearing your pouch.
I understand that completely. And I have no prob wearing them most of the time when they will be needed. But pulling home runs? Really? Kinda seams like the whole right tool for the job, and IMO a full pouch up and down a ladder doesn't seem like the right tool. The holes weren't even drilled yet so I couldn't make up the boxes even if I wanted to.

·
Registered
413 Posts
So my normal journeyman just had surgery on his shoulder. I'm now stuck with working with a real winner. But that's besides the point. The new journeyman told me that he wants me to wear my tools at all times unless I'm drilling holes for a rough in. I know that he's the boss on site so I do as I'm asked. It's just that I was pulling some home runs, just to the box, not making them up, and he wanted me to wear my tools. Doesn't make any sense to me. Why carry around all that extra weight when I'm going to be up and down a ladder all day. Also he didn't say anything about them till the owner showed up. So back to the original question how often do you wear your tools. I have found that I'm more of a pocket person.

I'm 54 and the boss when I've got guys, when I arrive I put the belt on and get ready for battle(I've got a huge belt with pouches loaded with everything:eek::laughing:) just kidding:laughing:

But I do strap on the belt with one pouch with room for hardware the other for the hand tools I like to have at all times,about 5 items, But you will learn what you really like to carry with you.

Tools in the pockets don't cut it with me,get a belt with a pouch for tools on your strong side and a pouch for hardware,,keep as light as you can.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.