Electrician Talk banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts
Fancy, but way too small. I couldn't fit half the stuff I carry in my truck.

Everytime you find you are missing something you need and have to run to the store, you are losing money.

It depends on the type of work you do. Hauling a supply house on wheels everywhere you go is also a money loser.

i want to get rid of my van and get a 4 door pick-up. Then i can remove the rear seats and make that a storage area for the expensive stuff and the cheap stuff can go in the rear.

I average 400 miles a week and the van is a pain in the arse to drive in high wind. I figure a F150/250 with a pull out storage slide and a canopy on the rear will give me just about the same amount of storage as the current van does plus it will save me crawling on my knees to get to the shelf's inside.
Now the company figures that a taller van that i can stand in would be a better option but there not the ones that have to drive it. They also don't want us pulling the enclosed trailer with the van but there fine with us using a pick-up as a tow vehicle.

i want to get rid of my van and get a 4 door pick-up. Then i can remove the rear seats and make that a storage area for the expensive stuff and the cheap stuff can go in the rear.

I average 400 miles a week and the van is a pain in the arse to drive in high wind. I figure a F150/250 with a pull out storage slide and a canopy on the rear will give me just about the same amount of storage as the current van does plus it will save me crawling on my knees to get to the shelf's inside.
Now the company figures that a taller van that i can stand in would be a better option but there not the ones that have to drive it. They also don't want us pulling the enclosed trailer with the van but there fine with us using a pick-up as a tow vehicle.
Like this? Don't make the same mistakes I did. F150 is not heavy duty enough to hold all the weight. I run overweight which is not very safe and have to keep the tranny out of overdrive to keep from shredding it. The bed slider comes out 70% which is a pain because it's hard to reach the stuff in the back without pulling stuff out that's in front of it. Get a 100% slider. They are more expensive. The rear doors fold flat against the truck.

The topper is a dream though. No crawling inside a truck to find stuff. The bin side is 24" deep with 24" bins. The tool side is 12" deep. Because of the weight and space limitations, I only carry about 70% of the stuff I carry in my E250 van.

Attachments

Like this? Don't make the same mistakes I did. F150 is not heavy duty enough to hold all the weight. I run overweight which is not very safe and have to keep the tranny out of overdrive to keep from shredding it. The bed slider comes out 70% which is a pain because it's hard to reach the stuff in the back without pulling stuff out that's in front of it. Get a 100% slider. They are more expensive. The rear doors fold flat against the truck.

The topper is a dream though. No crawling inside a truck to find stuff. The bin side is 24" deep with 24" bins. The tool side is 12" deep. Because of the weight and space limitations, I only carry about 70% of the stuff I carry in my E250 van.
What's up with the rake?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You couldn't pay me enough to run a pickup with a cap for a full time service truck. Regular roof vans are bad enough with side door access and more height, let alone having to crawl from back to front with a topper. A utility body would is significantly better.

My van is actually in pretty good shape right now. I have some refining to do, but ever since I stopped carrying so much inventory and only use the shelves it's way better. We don't do residential service work, so I don't need all the random devices and plates I used to carry. Now I just plan ahead and get the stuff out of my shop or from the supply house on the way to the job, or order the stuff to be delivered. It's been working pretty well so far. I keep enough boxes and such to get me out of a bind if I forget to order something or run a little short, and have enough emt connectors and such to not have to buy those all the time. We inventory a pretty fair amount of stuff in the shop, so I just restock as needed, and then order another case of whatever when we get low. My truck basically now has my tools, power tools, a couple benders, hardware, fittings, and wire. Realistically if it wasn't for the ground clearance and traction issues for a few of our big customers I could fit everything into a baby van.

It's the last tool you use when closing up a trench.

There's also a trenching shovel, post hole digger, three hand benders, a broom and dustpan, various pieces of firring and 2x4, a wire spinner, and all the short pieces of conduit in there.
Yeah it's cleaner then using a flat nosed shovel. You must do a lot of trenching to carry it around. That's the thing about our trade it deals with all phases of construction.

I need to get me some of those pvc benders [emoji16].

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You couldn't pay me enough to run a pickup with a cap for a full time service truck. Regular roof vans are bad enough with side door access and more height, let alone having to crawl from back to front with a topper. A utility body would is significantly better.
I guess you missed the bed slider. There is no crawling into the truck bed.

I work out of it. Every couple jobs, where I feel I need to I spend a few hours clearing it up, getting spare stuff I don't need into the shop, etc and loading up for the next one. It isn't organized, but I do periodically declutter it to make room for the next mess.

I work out of it. Every couple jobs, where I feel I need to I spend a few hours clearing it up, getting spare stuff I don't need into the shop, etc and loading up for the next one. It isn't organized, but I do periodically declutter it to make room for the next mess.
If it takes you a few hours to clean up your truck, you are doing something very, very, very wrong.

It takes a few minutes every morning to clean out the garbage, the spare stuff you don't need, AND get the stuff you will need for that day ready.

And by doing that, you end up saving that time later in the day because everything is ready to go and you can find what you need easily without digging.

If it takes you a few hours to clean up your truck, you are doing something very, very, very wrong.

It takes a few minutes every morning to clean out the garbage, the spare stuff you don't need, AND get the stuff you will need for that day ready.

And by doing that, you end up saving that time later in the day because everything is ready to go and you can find what you need easily without digging.
But lazy bastards like me don't want to get up one minute before we have to. Roll out of bed, splash some water on my face, brush my teeth and drive. Spending 15 minutes cleaning a truck at the crack of dawn kills the whole day:vs_laugh:

41 - 60 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.