Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody.
I have been looking for an apprenticeship for a while now to no avail. Any tips on how to find one? any info will be greatly appreciated.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hey everybody.
I have been looking for an apprenticeship for a while now to no avail. Any tips on how to find one? any info will be greatly appreciated.
See if you can get in with an electrical contractor that is willing train you from scratch.

Welcome to ET.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Both the Associated Builders and Contractors of Virginia (ABC) and the Independant Electrical Contractors Chesapeak (IEC) both have websites and they list contacts for Electrical Apprenticeship. One problem you might be running into is that it is late in the school year.
You should begin looking in the summer months and begin apprenticeship in the fall.
I am sure that if you contact eather of those organizations they will help you on your quest.
Good luck

LC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both the Associated Builders and Contractors of Virginia (ABC) and the Independant Electrical Contractors Chesapeak (IEC) both have websites and they list contacts for Electrical Apprenticeship. One problem you might be running into is that it is late in the school year.
You should begin looking in the summer months and begin apprenticeship in the fall.
I am sure that if you contact eather of those organizations they will help you on your quest.
Good luck

LC
Looks like these places are based in Richmond and Northern Virginia. Do you know of any organizations like that based in Hampton Roads?

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Call them they should know who to talk in your area. Those are state wide organizations.

LC

·
Premium Member
19,752 Posts
Looks like these places are based in Richmond and Northern Virginia. Do you know of any organizations like that based in Hampton Roads?
Avoid these. Big Mistake. Avoid!!

If you can't get into a NJATC program, go to a community collage and study engineering. Your time will be better spent.

·
Registered
420 Posts
jrannis said:
Avoid these. Big Mistake. Avoid!!

If you can't get into a NJATC program, go to a community collage and study engineering. Your time will be better spent.
IBEW recognizes ABC they excepted mine.As long as its recognized by the state you are all good,that's what the IBEW told me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lukenp said:
Hey everybody.
Try going on your local department of labor site. They usually have postings.

·
Premium Member
19,752 Posts
IBEW recognizes ABC they excepted mine.As long as its recognized by the state you are all good,that's what the IBEW told me.
I did 2 years ABC just because I had no idea NJATC existed. I worked hard on getting in and made it. They would not credit me of any ABC time but allowed me an opportunity to clep the first year by taking the final exam only due to my military A school electronics background.
But, that was a while ago, ooh crap, it was during Reagan's first term.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts