Electrician Talk banner

how to get an apprenticeship union or non union

15K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Michigan Master 
#1 ·
Hello im am trying to get into an apprenticeship, i have an idea of how to do it the union way but how do you do it non-union. If someone could elaborate on both ways it would be very much appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
To do it the " non union way " , you first need to get a job with a reputable electrical contractor , who will require you to go through the apprenticeship program . I'd recommend going the union route if possible ? The schooling is really much better , and you'll come out of it a better electrician .

#3 ·
Hello;Welcome to the forum.:thumbup:

Get a job in a non-union shop ,some will send you to school and some won't but you will be working in the field and learning on the fly.

From what I understand the Union will send you to school but otherwise everything else will be the same.

This is your states Electricians rules and regulations.http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_10575_33813_33817---,00.html

You can always call them and ask all the questions you need.

This is the unions in Michigan.

http://www.unions.org/unions/michigan/22/international-brotherhood-of-electrical-workers/9

#5 ·
I went through the IEC-Dallas and is was that organization of contractor members that got me interviews with members till I found the company I work for. They have large, medium and small contractors that are members.

Go to the following link and find a chapter near you. The application process and pay rates are spelled out in full.

http://www.ieci.org/

Good luck in however you enter the trade.

#8 ·
RideTheLightning said:
Ok, i appreciate your reply!
I have a question, you said get a job nonunion, how do i do that?, so i just go to a nonunion place and talk to them about it?
The best way to get a job is to just walk into the business with a resume. Show them that you have motivation and you are a hard worker. Most companies don't put ads out here because a lot of people are just lazy. Show the boss you want to work and you aren't afraid of a shovel and you should have no problem getting a job.

#11 ·
The schooling is great for the theory and understanding how things work , but there is no replacing on the job training ! Seeing and doing the work is every bit as important ( if not more so ) than what apprenticeship program you get into . Be a sponge and try to retain everything you see and learn and don't be afraid to ask questions . If you go to a contractor for a job and he says he ll start you as a helper to see how you'll do , get it in writing , that he ll sponsor you in an apprenticeship . If he won't do that , find someone that will . Plenty of contractors are willing to put guys through the program , but plenty are content with paying you as a helper forever too , lol ! Good luck in the trade !

#20 ·
Do not know what the union rules are for the states but in British Columbia Canada...

you need to hand in the application with physics 1, Math 11, English 11 and a resume.

Need to pass the unions physics 11 test. My score was not as hot for the physics entrance requirements so need to buy there book and pass their physics test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.