Electrician Talk banner

How to help coworkers be more productive

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  dawgs 
#1 ·
I'm currently an apprentice, and doing well with my company, and generally I tend to be a pretty quick and efficient worker. For that reason, I've been sent to a particular site for a period to work with the suite rough-in crew of a condo building, which the foreman tells me has been working much slower than they really should. After working a day with the team, I can see he is right; without making a point of it, I was able to complete nearly twice the work of next fastest guy there, not to mention the slower ones.

Most of the inefficiency seems to come from a whole lot of conversation and/or cell phone use during and between tasks, which for many seems to take a 2 hour job and turn it into a 4 or 5 hour job.

Here's my issue: I'm the same level as one or two other people working on the job, so I'm not their boss, and if I try to act like it they'll just resent me, so it's not worth trying to play that part. What can I do to help things go faster? The real problem is the work ethic; site morale is pretty low, so they don't really seem concerned with efficiency, and apart from just being a part of the team and busting my ass so the group moves ahead faster, I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas I could use to help everyone pick up the pace, without it being too obvious that's the reason I'm there.

See less See more
#2 ·
I always try to set this up so you feed work to each other. Example your condo I box you drill I start home runs you fill in the blanks etc. every one is dependent on each other for work flow. but if there is a bunch with no ****s left to give. That won't help you much. The. Don't worry one day you will be there boss.

Living the dream one nightmare at a time[emoji769]

#3 ·
Unless you were sent to the job to figure out what is going on and solve it, it's really not your problem to deal with. That's the province of the foreman/supervisor.

If you think other's inefficiency will affect how you are viewed, make an appointment with whoever you need to speak to about it and express your concerns.

#4 ·
I'm currently an apprentice, and doing well with my company, and generally I tend to be a pretty quick and efficient worker. For that reason, I've been sent to a particular site for a period to work with the suite rough-in crew of a condo building, which the foreman tells me has been working much slower than they really should. After working a day with the team, I can see he is right; without making a point of it, I was able to complete nearly twice the work of next fastest guy there, not to mention the slower ones.

Most of the inefficiency seems to come from a whole lot of conversation and/or cell phone use during and between tasks, which for many seems to take a 2 hour job and turn it into a 4 or 5 hour job.

Here's my issue: I'm the same level as one or two other people working on the job, so I'm not their boss, and if I try to act like it they'll just resent me, so it's not worth trying to play that part. What can I do to help things go faster? The real problem is the work ethic; site morale is pretty low, so they don't really seem concerned with efficiency, and apart from just being a part of the team and busting my ass so the group moves ahead faster, I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas I could use to help everyone pick up the pace, without it being too obvious that's the reason I'm there.
...your company sends you, an apprentice, when there is a productivity issue? Ridiculous!

Foreman's deal with onsite issues, not apprentices. If there is a problem with the foreman, that's the owners responsibility .

#6 ·
To the previous three posters - my company isn't one that generally treats apprentices as mere workers who wouldn't know which was is up were it not for their journeyman. Some of us have different skills, and I've been told that trying to figure out the productivity hold-up for this small corner of the project IS what I'm there to do by the powers that be.

I don't need to be put in my place; I'm just looking for advice on accomplishing what I've been told to accomplish, besides just demonstrating by example.

#7 ·
To the previous three posters - my company isn't one that generally treats apprentices as mere workers who wouldn't know which was is up were it not for their journeyman. Some of us have different skills, and I've been told that trying to figure out the productivity hold-up for this small corner of the project IS what I'm there to do by the powers that be.

I don't need to be put in my place; I'm just looking for advice on accomplishing what I've been told to accomplish, besides just demonstrating by example.
Okay Mr. Indignant, it sounds like you already figured out that low morale is the cause. So that being the case, find out why that is. Are they underpaid? Paycheques late? Lack of proper material/tools? No safety? Constantly changing drawings? Crappy foreman? No organisation? No recognition for good work done? Useless guys being retained causing good guys to drag ass? Constantly fixing crappy work or having to remove installed product because of other trades? Too cold/hot? Overall low calibre of guys?

#11 ·
Sounds like the people in the office who sit on the sides of desks with the drawers are wanting you to do their dirty work for them. They are the one who should be out on the job site observing and identifying problems. Instead, they send you in as a snitch.

I got a nickel that says if the rest of the crew catches wind of your reason for being there, they'll merrily toss you under the bus. If you're still around at the end of the year, don't expect to have a good time at the company Christmas party.

A cannot comprehend how any ethical employer would require a cubby to do this. Sure, you can be asked to engage in this covert operation.... but you should be given the option of refusing, and should be allowed to do so with no repercussions.

#15 ·
Very strange. What were your specific instructions when you were sent to this site? I don't understand why the higher ups would send you in to solve the problem. I have paired a good worker with an under performer, hoping that the under performer will change his ways. Not a whole crew though. Also don't understand the personal cell phone use. That should be stopped by the foreman.
Best advice I can give is do a good job. If you try to do too much too fast you'll make mistakes or get hurt.

#16 ·
Your company has issues.

Number 1, Why is the foreman not taking the responsibility of managing the crew better. If the crew sucks, he should be reprimanding and sending people down the road. He should stop the cell phone use.

Number 2, your company should never have sent you in there as a snitch.

Number 3, your company is probably breaking your states apprentice / journeyman ratio per one of your above post were you state everyone is an apprentice.

Show your supervisor this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.