Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Swimmer
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me an efficient way to remove the armor from the cable shown in this picture? I need to remove about 2 feet. I also need to know the proper fitting to bring it into the service panel. It is being used for gas pipe bond.

To preempt a discussion about gas pipe bonding, note that the branch circuits in this house have no EGCs, therefore gas appliances are not grounding gas pipe.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Roto splits will do it, but they are not that quick in the old steel jacket. I would use a hack saw. With a standard two screw mc/ bx connector
Not that quick? It might take a couple extra cranks for steel over aluminum jacket cables. Not really a noticable difference. Otherwise replace the blade. My blades tend to last 6 months at least cutting both steel and aluminum jacket mc and ac cable. Hacksaw will work, so will a pair of dikes in his situation of one or two cuts, but for repeated cuts (roughing in walls all day) the rotosplit is the way to go.

·
Swimmer
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks like there is an armored GEC entering at the bottom. If that's correct, a bonding bushing is required.

It is never a bad idea to include flashing under the flange to lap with lath paper. Treat the hole like a window and give it a chance to not leak.

Tigerloose, that is a solid, bare #4 GEC. My understanding is that this can be brought into the panel with a romex connector.

The panel instructions said the flange is supposed to contact the studs, or something to that effect. Is there panel flashing or do you cut 4 strips (2 vertical & 2 horizontal) or do you buy a 2ft x 2ft piece and cut a square out of the middle?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tigerloose, that is a solid, bare #4 GEC. My understanding is that this can be brought into the panel with a romex connector.

The panel instructions said the flange is supposed to contact the studs, or something to that effect. Is there panel flashing or do you cut 4 strips (2 vertical & 2 horizontal) or do you buy a 2ft x 2ft piece and cut a square out of the middle?
I thought I could see a hint of armor. As long as there is no armor, no bonding bushing is required.

The flashing comes in a roll 6" and wider. It is almost never installed. More often than not, no lath is used either.

·
Swimmer
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The flashing comes in a roll 6" and wider. It is almost never installed. More often than not, no lath is used either.
Hi Tigerloose,

The inspector dinged me because no lath an flashing. He specified a product called Moistop. It comes in several sizes as you mentioned. My local bigbox carried 6". Are you aware of any building code spec concerning the width of the flashing?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.