Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
i'm gonna start calling devices, "housings".

Poor dude, he's so confident in himself, "let there be light".

·
Slave to the grind
623 Posts
Hmmm....let's see here.

Since the polarity was reversed, and he didn't run the unused screws down and, there probably isn't an EGC in that old metal box....who wants to bet that the silver screw, with the hot wire, is touching that metal box? Sure looked like it could have been to me.

The dude probably just created a bigger hazard than he already had.:001_huh:

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Someone should make a video about receptacle screw identification..

The white wire goes to the silver screw... not the brass one..

The hot goes to the brass one...but this moron has much bigger problems than changing receptacles wrong...

I bet his house is loaded with Carlon blue electrical boxes that he is so proud of installing all by himself.. :eek::eek::no:

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
824 Posts
Give it a month or so and you'll see this. Complete with a dead kid and Dad. :no:

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Tell the truth.... which one of you business owners has been trying to find contact information to give him a job offer?

Pete

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,958 Posts
B4T said:
Someone should make a video about receptacle screw identification.. The white wire goes to the silver screw... not the brass one.. The hot goes to the brass one...but this moron has much bigger problems than changing receptacles wrong... I bet his house is loaded with Carlon blue electrical boxes that he is so proud of installing all by himself.. :eek::eek::no:
Maybe the dude is color blind?

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Holy sheet that is the worst video I've ever seen for hackery.. it's gotta be a joke!

Reversed polarty, no grounding/bonding, it's tamper-resistant but he says you should still put in child safety plugs.

w t f

and yes, what is with that amish haircut?

·
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:jester:.. and don't forget the old "BX" Type R conductors that are dried up like a pretzel, and the soldered taped (with friction tape) splices to the pigtails, and the less than the 6 inch tail.

He didn't remove his ring at the very beginning as well. The tools were impressive too. I tracked him down and called him, no reply yet and his YT page does not allow comments!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I learned something new. I am going to start replacing all old bad housings like that. Video seemed legit so i cant go wrong.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
I just called my supply house. Seems they sell housings for ¼ the price of receptacles. :laughing:

......... and his YT page does not allow comments!
I'm sure this is intentional. How dare someone question his authority! After all, he does buy his tools at Harbor Freight!

·
Certified Organic A-Hole
1,697 Posts
My friend's dad called me over once because he was replacing his well's pressure tank and didn't remember how to wire the pressure switch back up.

When I got there, there was an old guy talking to him saying I think the black is your hot and the white is the negative. I chalked it up to either a very old electrician or a guy that thought he knew what he was doing.

It was a 240v single phase pump, I had it fixed in a matter of 15 minutes but had to wait for them to get new fuses as they blew the new ones they bought (created a dead short when the wired the pressure switch back up.)

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
:laughing: I've got one of those screwdrivers he was using. I'm going find it tomorrow and get rid of it.

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
824 Posts
:laughing: I've got one of those screwdrivers he was using. I'm going find it tomorrow and get rid of it.
Burn it in a fire unless you wanna be known as a DIYer... :whistling2:

·
Florida resident
3,898 Posts
can we verbaly attack this diy'er

1 - 20 of 84 Posts