Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,413 Posts
Jrannis,so are you just dividing up all the job/task ,material,permit license fees,expenses etc. into the amount of bulbs? With a (unit cost) per bulb/fixture retrofit? (say with a 25-50 bulb min. or something)Or assign a certain unit price that you would estimate that would be profitable and try to just beat that while you're doing the job?

Do you think it's a worthwhile profitable pursuit? Should you just leave this type of job to the lighting specialty contractor?

· THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,413 Posts
Leo,
The people that sell these upgrades to owners are always looking for some type of unit pricing to plug into their ROI calculator.
What I have done is take my cost and work it into what ROI I think will help them sell the job.
I need to "net", whatever that means to everyone in their own way, at least a grand a day for every carcass I drag onto a jobsite.
That is the difference between my "cost" whatever that means to everyone in their own way, and my walk away price.
Seems like the lighting contractors I worked with in the past has been " hard money" drudgery type of jobs/work.High competition ,low margins nothin really much to write home about profits.The building managers /owners probably getting 10 different estimates on each project.

Also dealing with any type of rebate from the poco might just be a big headache .Who acts as "the bank" buying all the materials? (hiding the material markup from the building owner might be a headache also) Not sure if it's worth it.

· THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,413 Posts
Leo,
The people that sell these upgrades to owners are always looking for some type of unit pricing to plug into their ROI calculator.
What I have done is take my cost and work it into what ROI I think will help them sell the job.
I need to "net", whatever that means to everyone in their own way, at least a grand a day for every carcass I drag onto a jobsite.
That is the difference between my "cost" whatever that means to everyone in their own way, and my walk away price.
Seems like the lighting contractors I worked for in the past has been " hard money" drudgery type of jobs/work.High competition ,low margins nothin really much to write home about profits.The building managers /owners probably getting 10 different estimates on each project.

Also dealing with any type of rebate from the poco might just be a big headache .Who acts as "the bank" buying all the materials? (hiding the material markup from the building owner might be a headache also) Not sure if it's worth it.

· THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,413 Posts
Do you charge the same shop right for each man or do you adjust the rates down to reflect skill level?

Do any of the commercial estimating books give any formulas or tips on estimating lighting retrofit?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.