Electrician Talk banner

How to you bill for labor on lighting retrofits?

7655 20
Hi All,

When bidding lighting projects, do you charge the customer a flat labor rate per fixture or do you bill your normal hourly rate based on the estimated time it will take to complete? Any advantage of one methodology vs the other?

Any tips for making lighting jobs more profitable (aside from simply increasing the price) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Every bid is counting installed items or assemblies.
It doesn't matter to me how the number is presented to the client, it's going to be a number no matter what so, go ahead and divide the final price into installed units.
Changing 1000 lamps.
Ok.
$10 per lamp.
Got it.
$10,000
Thank you.
Unless they want the unit pricing for future work ie. You did the last job of changing out 1000 lamps @ $10 per for 10K. I have 3 lamps I need changed out here's your $30. It doesn't work that way. If there's a known amount of lamps to change out it's fine because you'll build everything in to the overall price.

· Registered
53 Posts
No,
It has to be a grand a day clear per carcass on the site.
this would be about 50 to 60 lamps per hour minimum.
You have to hop on it and find out your efficiencies. It isnt going to be in any book.
If I used NECA 3 for a lamp change I wold have to figure in the break one, lose one, take one home numbers. Nice if you can get it but, I only use those numbers for change orders.
Exactly. That's what I was trying to get across and could have laid it out better. Unit prices are ok as long as minimums are attached to it or you set thresholds. 0-20 lamps $XX.XX per lamp 21-50 $YY.YY etc.

· Registered
53 Posts
Do you charge the same shop right for each man or do you adjust the rates down to reflect skill level?

Do any of the commercial estimating books give any formulas or tips on estimating lighting retrofit?
For us it's different on every job depending on competition and how badly we want the job. On really competitive bids we'll figure out average man hours and average crew then input the number of each classification we'll have on the job to get a blended rate.

I'm not sure if the commercial books have lighting retrofits. I'll check NECA on Monday.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.