Electrician Talk banner

How to you bill for labor on lighting retrofits?

7658 20
Hi All,

When bidding lighting projects, do you charge the customer a flat labor rate per fixture or do you bill your normal hourly rate based on the estimated time it will take to complete? Any advantage of one methodology vs the other?

Any tips for making lighting jobs more profitable (aside from simply increasing the price) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
20,171 Posts
Do you charge the same shop right for each man or do you adjust the rates down to reflect skill level?

Do any of the commercial estimating books give any formulas or tips on estimating lighting retrofit?
For me, I can put a $40 guy out there for $105.
Two guys, one $40 and one $25, I can put out there for $156 and be OK. Not making the good margin i want but with that, I need to be installing materials that will net me at least $500.
T&M from the outside looks good but, the only thing good about it is cash flow.
A little baseball analogy.
From the inside, those are just base hits with very little risk.
Jobs however, with the risk of a strike, also are opportunities for home runs and what I call sweeps. Making up for something you did too cheap or making up for a "missing" tool or materials not captured on a ticket.

Just in case Tesla took the day off. :)
&&&&

Players on the batting team take turns hitting against the pitcher of the fielding team, which tries to prevent runs by getting hitters out in any of several ways. A player on the batting team who reaches a base safely can later attempt to advance to subsequent bases during teammates' turns batting, such as on a hit or by other means. The teams switch between batting and fielding whenever the fielding team records three outs. One turn batting for both teams, beginning with the visiting team, constitutes an inning. A game comprises nine innings, and the team with the greater number of runs at the end of the game wins. Baseball is the only major team sport in America with no game clock, although almost all games end in the ninth inning.
The Red Chinese are trying to change the rules of baseball thanks to our president who thinks the game originated in Hawaii but we all know the game was invented in Kenya. Back in those days a mulatto did not play baseball.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.