Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking the other day, how did they pull large wire/cable before portable tuggers and synthetic rope? I can't imagine it was easy to pull cloth or rubber cover wire into pipe with a manilla rope. Or did they use wire rope? And was it just get 20 guys pulling on the line, use a horse? Not that this matters for any practical purpose, just a thing I was contemplating.

And I geuss in the beginning seems most wiring was open air on insulators so maybe this wasn't even an issue..

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Same way everyone does it now that doesn't have a tugger. Back in the '60s, the 1860s mind you...:vs_laugh:
Rope, sheaves (pulleys) & something to pull the rope. Gang of men, car, truck, forklift (forks pulling rope up), threader (with pipe in it, secured to something, to wrap rope around), etc.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should clarify, I know there was always some mechanical means. I was more thinking about the increased friction from cloth and rubber jackets and the natural rope that dosen't have a 20k lb breaking strength.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,480 Posts
I should clarify, I know there was always some mechanical means. I was more thinking about the increased friction from cloth and rubber jackets and the natural rope that dosen't have a 20k lb breaking strength.
We pushed and we pulled and could feel how the wire went in.
If you go slow there is very little friction to worry about.
All of that hasn't changed over the years.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,562 Posts
I am trying to remember if the American Electrician's Handbook had any primitive low tech methods for pulling wire. They definitely have low tech methods of erecting poles and other line work. I might be mixing it up with the Hawkins electrical books, which you can get on Project Gutenberg for free. If you're interested in the historic stuff, I highly recommend these books.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am trying to remember if the American Electrician's Handbook had any primitive low tech methods for pulling wire. They definitely have low tech methods of erecting poles and other line work. I might be mixing it up with the Hawkins electrical books, which you can get on Project Gutenberg for free. If you're interested in the historic stuff, I highly recommend these books.
I actaully have a couple of hawkins books and that's exactly the kinda info I was wondering about. The ones I have have tables for grate size and stack height for building your town's lighting plant.

·
Banned
4,675 Posts
I watched 15-20 irish guys use hemp rope and pulley's to drag in a 4 core 1000mcm marine cable years ago.

They started to sing then seemed to get into a pattern with the song and moved as a team. It didn't take long to pull in over a thousand feet.
Yeah, but after all the cable feet were pulled and the terminations made, they were still Irish.:sick:

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
1,389 Posts
I watched 15-20 irish guys use hemp rope and pulley's to drag in a 4 core 1000mcm marine cable years ago.

They started to sing then seemed to get into a pattern with the song and moved as a team. It didn't take long to pull in over a thousand feet.
Pfft! That's only 4000lbs or so.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts

That's it, coordination is key. Nothing like pulling your.........brains out while the feeder is trying to get the last drop of soap out of the bottle.

Reactions: gpop
1 - 20 of 49 Posts