Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
30,862 Posts
When electrification started in America, Clipper Ships were still in abundance. That generation was very well versed in pulleys and blocks. That's how it was done at first. Oh, and they used horse power. Real horses. Really.

We had Mr Pelon when I was a very young child before 1960 rolled around. He delivered milk to the residences of Riverside Ontario using a horse pulled covered wagon and this is not baloney, bologna....... There was a alley between each street and he went up and down those with his rig and dropped glass bottles of milk off to people's back doors. My dad loved to tell my mother that I was such a little bastard that I must of been Pelon's.........................

Reactions: splatz

·
Hackenschmidt
10,546 Posts
We had Mr Pelon when I was a very young child before 1960 rolled around. He delivered milk to the residences of Riverside Ontario using a horse pulled covered wagon and this is not baloney, bologna....... There was a alley between each street and he went up and down those with his rig and dropped glass bottles of milk off to people's back doors. My dad loved to tell my mother that I was such a little bastard that I must of been Pelon's.........................
There were still a few milk men that used horse drawn carts here into the late 1960's. Just about every house had a small square galvanized cooler on the porch where the milk man delivered the milk and you set out the empty glass bottles.

There was one dairy here that still sold milk and cream in those quart and half gallon glass bottles until maybe ten years ago. The deposit on the bottles was about as much as the milk. You could only buy it at the dairy's store and a few grocery stores close by. What a difference! It tasted a lot better than what you get at the grocery store. They still have great ice cream but no longer sell milk and cream.

Reactions: HertzHound

·
Hackenschmidt
10,546 Posts
When electrification started in America, Clipper Ships were still in abundance. That generation was very well versed in pulleys and blocks. That's how it was done at first. Oh, and they used horse power. Real horses. Really.

Reactions: CoolWill

·
Watt Pusher
2,502 Posts
There were still a few milk men that used horse drawn carts here into the late 1960's. Just about every house had a small square galvanized cooler on the porch where the milk man delivered the milk and you set out the empty glass bottles.

There was one dairy here that still sold milk and cream in those quart and half gallon glass bottles until maybe ten years ago. The deposit on the bottles was about as much as the milk. You could only buy it at the dairy's store and a few grocery stores close by. What a difference! It tasted a lot better than what you get at the grocery store. They still have great ice cream but no longer sell milk and cream.
We have a dairy here in Vancouver that still sells its milk in 1L glass bottles, Avalon Dairy. Like you said, the deposit is very high. Milk delivery is uncommon, but this dairy sells its milk at many local grocery stores. It's really good stuff but I only buy it as a treat as it's about 4x the price of the stuff in the plastic 4L bottles.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,675 Posts

Fun fact: Half a gallon has its own unit name. A "pottle".

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,024 Posts
Although they didn’t use horse drawn carts, we had a milk man and an egg man till the mid 70s. Not sure when or why we stopped getting milk delivery, but egg deliveries stopped when the egg man passed away :sad:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Could actaully still get the glass bottle milk in Southern IL, at least when I left a few years ago. Not sure it's as fresh as what you all are talking about but was certainly better then the plastic stuff.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,024 Posts
When electrification started in America, Clipper Ships were still in abundance. That generation was very well versed in pulleys and blocks.

That's what I was thinking. Not so much pullys and blocks, but maybe a Capstan attached to a chain fall sort of. But I guess they never made such a thing?

I worked for a guy that actually used the hand crank wire puller. We used it for small feeder type pulls in busy areas above product lines. Iv'e seen one in my current employers warehouse, But nobody has ever used it. It looks about 50 years old.

Attachments

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,475 Posts
I'm sorry. I thought you were American. My mistake.:surprise:
Only two kinds of people on this planet.
Irish and others.

Which are you?

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,475 Posts

We have a company here that delivers bottled milk and ice cream.
Their chocolate milk and egg nog is great.
The bottles are worth $1.50 on a return.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
I've been. I had a fine time but didn't find any reason to go back. Lots of reasons to leave, but none for going back. Odd.

Not odd at all, when you enter northern Virginia you've left the USA and entered into Soviet USA. That continues all the way past Boston and up to the border with Communist Canada.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
1,556 Posts
Not odd at all, when you enter northern Virginia you've left the USA and entered into Soviet USA. That continues all the way past Boston and up to the border with Communist Canada.
All the more reason to move to the land of sunshine and lollipops, southern Ohio :rolleyes:.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,546 Posts
Boston is like Scranton with clams.

Reactions: Wirenuting

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Was thinking the other day, how did they pull large wire/cable before portable tuggers and synthetic rope? I can't imagine it was easy to pull cloth or rubber cover wire into pipe with a manilla rope. Or did they use wire rope? And was it just get 20 guys pulling on the line, use a horse? Not that this matters for any practical purpose, just a thing I was contemplating.

And I geuss in the beginning seems most wiring was open air on insulators so maybe this wasn't even an issue..
Stationary steam donkey engine

·
The Accidental Welder
1,162 Posts
Simple

When men were men, sh1t got done.

Noone pu55yfooted around.

Noone looked for an easy way out.

Noone was too busy texting.

Etc., ad nauseum.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts