Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a job today for a GC. Small job, but as always I open the panel to see what I have to work with. :eek:

The #12 MWBC is a spare. I am going to use one leg of it for the GDO circuit.

What would you do to bush that opening?

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Remove that picture, cut a hole in the wall, pull the wires up out of the panel. Install correct connectors, put wires back in the panel thru connectors, insert KO seal in the large KO, put picture over the hole you cut.

It seems like you happen upon garbage installations on daily basis. That is supposed to be good for you and the company, you should be making lots of money on it. You're not supposed to find some easy hack way to fix it really cheaply.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I would buy a chase nipple and screw the lock nut on top of the panel. That looks like 1 1/4", and they sell Chase nipples up to 2".

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems like you happen upon garbage installations on daily basis. That is supposed to be good for you and the company, you should be making lots of money on it. You're not supposed to find some easy hack way to fix it really cheaply.
It would be nice to know money is no issue on most of the jobs I do. But it is not.

I like the idea though. That may be cheaper than trying to fix without holes.

Hole , low voltage single cut in, blank plate. 1-1/4" KO filler.:thumbsup:

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would not use one of those circuits without following it. If they came into the panel that ****tty what else do you think they messed with?
In order for me to use said circuit I would have to follow where it goes. How else would you do it?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Pop out the K.O.'s right next to the hole and use 1/2 inch push in's. Should be able to get your fingers through the hole to install the push in's on the top of the panel and also snake the wire through. Don't forget to pick up the ko filler.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Pop out the K.O.'s right next to the hole and use 1/2 inch push in's. Should be able to get your fingers through the hole to install the push in's on the top of the panel and also snake the wire through. Don't forget to pick up the ko filler.
Exactly what I would do. Seems pretty simple

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Raco makes button connectors that can be inserted from inside the panel.

Do What these guys said.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Cut a 4" blank down to fit over hole, put a couple of KOs in the blank, add connectors, cables and tek screw blank over hole.

Done.
Or just move the wires to the 1/2" holes and put a 1 1/4 ko seal in it. Unless I missed something.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts