Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Utility Substation Electrician
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a house built and when I first noticed this monstrosity, we’ll before the house was completed, I communicated to the builder that I wasn’t happy and that it needed to be fixed. Final walkthrough came around and it still wasn’t fixed so I raised hell about it. I was fed some BS story about supply issues on the Arlington boxes but being in the industry and having constant contact with parts houses I called them out on their lie , there were hundreds of them in stock. Anyways, the builder scheduled the electrician and sheet rocker to come fix this on this coming Friday. Their plan is to completely cut this box out, put in the proper box, and then patch/texture/paint. I’m just worried that the patch work and texture will not blend well with the existing Sheetrock and knock-down texture. I was wondering if cutting the Arlington box to mate up to the wood could be an option but those boxes are 8x8 and the canopy of the fan is 4” which is still too big for the existing box so I don’t think that would be feasible. How would you guys go about this being fixed? Have them cut out the box and make sure they do it properly, or something else? It’s unfortunate that my Friday is going to be spent babysitting conctractors but it needs to be done right
Street light Audio equipment Lamp Tints and shades Electronic device

·
Big nosed attic troll
9,846 Posts
what exactly are u asking? what's the problem?

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,238 Posts
Worst part, they will never match the plaster work. You'll always see the patch

·
Big nosed attic troll
9,846 Posts
Add me to the list of people who cant see the issue. I see stuff like this all the time, it looks normal.
If it were so bad and in my house, id probably change it…… jus sayin

·
Registered
Utility Substation Electrician
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here’s how it looks
Wood Grey Tints and shades Ceiling Circle

Here’s how it’s supposed to look
Automotive lighting Audio equipment Rim Material property Cookware and bakeware

I don’t understand where the confusion is coming from. The current box is made out of layers of plywood and not big enough to fit the canopy of the fan. You can see the heads of the screws in the face of the box

·
Big nosed attic troll
9,846 Posts
Here’s how it looks
View attachment 161352

Here’s how it’s supposed to look
View attachment 161354

I don’t understand where the confusion is coming from. The current box is made out of layers of plywood and not big enough to fit the canopy of the fan. You can see the heads of the screws in the face of the box
Both look like poop

·
Can't Remember
10,426 Posts
You may be able to remove both and put an Arlington one in place. The other option is to rework/rebuild what's there.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts