Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Can't Remember
10,426 Posts
I know it's not what you'd like after a long slog in building your home and maybe there were other things along the way, but either you get the builder to fix it, or get them out and either fix it yourself or find someone else to do it. I don't do new homes, but a fair amount of remodels and I know the crews I work with would have done better. You'd still have a flat there but at least the finish would be presentable.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,996 Posts
I have tried using the Arlington peak boxes before and both times the builder pulled them out and built their own which looked much better. They are more work if the ceiling pitch is out of parameters. It is also hard to get a clean finish where the sheetrock meets the plastic.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,669 Posts
You need to practice. I installed these 2 on Aug 12 last yr. Raco fan box mounted to peaked truss with extra long lags. Drywaller probably cussed a bit, I wasn't there when he was hanging the ceiling..... Anyhow, hung the fans and used plain ole Dap to blend it all in. You be the judge.
Property Window Light Ceiling fan Wood
Property Building Lighting Shade Interior design

·
Registered
292 Posts
[QUOTE="MikeJH, post: 5492428, member: 34786"
I don’t understand where the confusion is coming from. The current box is made out of layers of plywood and not big enough to fit the canopy of the fan. You can see the heads of the screws in the face of the box
[/QUOTE]

As far as the layers of plywood and seeing the heads of the screws, that could be addressed with more plaster. It is not a smooth finish so I expect that would not be difficult for the plasterer.

I guess it is a preference thing. With the Arlington box the color will not match the rest of the ceiling and not match the color of the canopy. It will stand out. If you like that clean finished plastic look then it will look better than the existing to you. I can say with certainty that the Arlington boxes are not the standard solution I see on most jobs. As someone else noted typically the GC provides some sort of support below the peak that allows the canopy to sit flat which is then finished after.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Here’s how it looks
View attachment 161352

Here’s how it’s supposed to look
View attachment 161354

I don’t understand where the confusion is coming from. The current box is made out of layers of plywood and not big enough to fit the canopy of the fan. You can see the heads of the screws in the face of the box
The first one looks better....

·
Hackenschmidt
12,558 Posts
As far as the layers of plywood and seeing the heads of the screws, that could be addressed with more plaster. It is not a smooth finish so I expect that would not be difficult for the plasterer.
This is an arts and crafts issue, whoever did that textured ceiling could make this look OK in 15 minutes.

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,809 Posts
Arlington Peak box would have been the way to go, before finish of course. Now it would be more of a headache than it's worth.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I second the idea of going over it with wood.. a decent carpenter could make up another layer with mdf to clean it up and widen the surface 3/4 so your canopy sits neatly..
..the off centeredness makes me wonder what is even up there for a box.. Ive seen plenty of those built without even a pan box lagged to the ridge beam

21 - 40 of 58 Posts