Electrician Talk banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
I work for a service shop. No complaints, love what I do.
901 Posts
They just didn't pay attention to putting in enough detail into the way they finished and blended in the finishing touches. It could look better with the exact same materials. Personally I don't think tearing it all apart is necessary. Like @splatz mentioned, this is an arts and craft issue with needing to refinish the finishing touches, which I agree they didn't do the best on. It's not BAD, it really isn't. It's hardly noticeable from down low, but hey, it's still noticeable. You'll never learn to do things better and more professional looking if no one ever holds you to those standards, so I don't fault MikeJH.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just had a house built and when I first noticed this monstrosity, we’ll before the house was completed, I communicated to the builder that I wasn’t happy and that it needed to be fixed. Final walkthrough came around and it still wasn’t fixed so I raised hell about it. I was fed some BS story about supply issues on the Arlington boxes but being in the industry and having constant contact with parts houses I called them out on their lie , there were hundreds of them in stock. Anyways, the builder scheduled the electrician and sheet rocker to come fix this on this coming Friday. Their plan is to completely cut this box out, put in the proper box, and then patch/texture/paint. I’m just worried that the patch work and texture will not blend well with the existing Sheetrock and knock-down texture. I was wondering if cutting the Arlington box to mate up to the wood could be an option but those boxes are 8x8 and the canopy of the fan is 4” which is still too big for the existing box so I don’t think that would be feasible. How would you guys go about this being fixed? Have them cut out the box and make sure they do it properly, or something else? It’s unfortunate that my Friday is going to be spent babysitting conctractors but it needs to be done right View attachment 161347
I just had a house built and when I first noticed this monstrosity, we’ll before the house was completed, I communicated to the builder that I wasn’t happy and that it needed to be fixed. Final walkthrough came around and it still wasn’t fixed so I raised hell about it. I was fed some BS story about supply issues on the Arlington boxes but being in the industry and having constant contact with parts houses I called them out on their lie , there were hundreds of them in stock. Anyways, the builder scheduled the electrician and sheet rocker to come fix this on this coming Friday. Their plan is to completely cut this box out, put in the proper box, and then patch/texture/paint. I’m just worried that the patch work and texture will not blend well with the existing Sheetrock and knock-down texture. I was wondering if cutting the Arlington box to mate up to the wood could be an option but those boxes are 8x8 and the canopy of the fan is 4” which is still too big for the existing box so I don’t think that would be feasible. How would you guys go about this being fixed? Have them cut out the box and make sure they do it properly, or something else? It’s unfortunate that my Friday is going to be spent babysitting conctractors but it needs to be done right View attachment 161347
Good looking job to me! That is what happens when you have a vaulted ceiling and it comes to a peak! Why the bitchin'?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Doesn't appear to be any ELECTRICAL issues, just the finishing of the plaster/JC around the fixture, have them clean that up, that box is probably fine.

·
Registered
Utility Substation Electrician
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Dad, I watched this youtube video about electricity...
Son, if I knew you were going to grow up and try to act cool on the internet to strangers, I would’ve just came on your moms boobs

anyways, people trying to act like shoddy finished product is not something people care about in electrical field…crooked conduit, dog legged bends, poor finish, etc. The contractor apologized and said it was his first and last attempt at a homemade peak box and now it’s done correctly

Street light Ceiling fan Shade Mechanical fan Wall

·
Can't Remember
10,801 Posts
And yes that is an improvement. Looks like an Arlington box, and I believe you can paint those. That’s the only thing I could see I would do differently. Definitely centered this time.

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
And yes that is an improvement. Looks like an Arlington box, and I believe you can paint those. That’s the only thing I could see I would do differently. Definitely centered this time.
well you CAN paint anything......doesnt mean itll work

41 - 58 of 58 Posts