Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
3,346 Posts
When I first started out in business I had a partner at first who had more experience in the trade than I had and we ran into a situation where we needed to offset a 2" GRC for a mast riser. But back then I had no tooling for bending rigid steel conduits of that size . His suggestion was this: We fill the pipe with some sand right off the beach at Pipeline, and seal up the ends and then use a cutting torch to heat up the conduit and bend it like PVC , and viola' it works, but that was the only time I ever tried that one. You make the pipe glow cherry red and it gets soft. Work the length just like it was a pvc pipe you were bending using a propane torch with a cherry stone head attachment. After bending pour a bucket of water on it and let it cool down for a good while. Oh, and wear welders gloves.
And add a can of cold galvanizing spray.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
How about a 6 inch deep rain tight pull box ? Cut the 2 inch conduit down and punch the hole 9n the bottom towards the front and punch one towards the back for the top. Myers hub out the top into the meter.
There might not be an equipment ground preventing a PVC transition.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
And a new piece of conduit because thats the dumbest thing I have ever read
50/60 years ago some of us did things like that because of no other options. Is it right? No, but you did things to get it done. My grandfather had many of his tools made by a local blacksmith. There was no tool supply houses let alone electrical supply houses around.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Pull box on an unmetered service riser may either be forbidden or raise a few eyebrows...
It is after the meter. Plus here we install troughs on both sides of the meter depending on the application. NYC requires a service end box. or example #1. Three meters with one service feeder. Conduit with service feeders to a trough then down to three meters. or #2 a 400 amp Trans S to a trough to 2 - 200 amp panels. I have done both many times. Is this prohibited in other areas?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
We needed a Piece of 3" EMT bent back in the 70's but pipe shop only had ridged shoes for the bender. After we kinked a few pieces an old timer came by, said watch this. He capped one end filled the EMT with sand, tapped the sealed end on the floor, repeated a few time capped the other end and bend it with no kinks. Then smiled as he walked away.
See, the old timers knew how to get things done. I think many of the electricians today would stop the job because they did not have "the tool" to do something.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
You're talking about an Edison end box, yes in NYC but in other areas it's a no go. If they do allow it then like an Efison End box it needs a seal or 2. I seen multi meters on houses on LI and seems at least PSEGli is ok with them and don't even seal them. But I thought the OPs service was But 1 meter underground fed, and since there's no actual reason for a box or trough other than the contra tors self imposed hardship of running a business without the necessary tools, the utility will squash the "offset box" idea like a bug.
The OP meter was an overhead service. That meter pan is not rated for an underground service. That is why I suggested the off set pull box idea on the load side of the meter.
I just finished an underground service change and installed a pull box on the UG that fed the meter. It passed both the electrical inspection and the LIPA inspection.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Yes.
Even LilCo and LIPA and PSEGLif orbade this arrangement... NO ACCESS TO unmetered conductors EVER. But their field tech's let SOME things slide...

You KNOW Suffolk is the MOST corrupt County in the country or am I preaching to the choir?
They are all corrupt. School districts, county, state, federal. It only gets exposed when the opposing party gets into power.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I'm so happy for you. IRL... it's usually a no go, wouldn't you agree?
It was either a pull box above ground or a splice underground. The UG cable has a concentric neutral so there is no way to make the neutral water proof. LIPA owned and maintained cable and it was way back when LILCO installed the gas and electric in the same trench so the meter was install behind the gas meter. Over the years the gas company changed their meters so now the electric meter was about 12 inches directly above the gas meter. So they let things slide rather then replace the cable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts