Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
1,774 Posts
Service entrance 1 1/4" rigid conduit. I planned to cut the conduit closer to the brick and use a compression connector, coupling, and rigid offset to try and close the gap. I don't have access to any bending tools of this size. I'd like this to look as clean as possible.

Apparently the original siding block was built out 5 or 6" to meet the meter as it stands. Do I just build the meter backer board out to meet the offset and call it a day?

View attachment 168718
Cut the pipe off low change it over to pvc with a atkor compression connector and bend the pvc with a hot box

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
50/60 years ago some of us did things like that because of no other options. Is it right? No, but you did things to get it done. My grandfather had many of his tools made by a local blacksmith. There was no tool supply houses let alone electrical supply houses around.
50/60 years ago some of us did things like that because of no other options. Is it right? No, but you did things to get it done. My grandfather had many of his tools made by a local blacksmith. There was no tool supply houses let alone electrical supply houses around.
They had benders 50-60 year ago too

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
If you add an offset, the conductors will be too short to reach the existing terminal locations. The simplest repair would be to build out the siding mounting box and then have the siding contractor bend up a box of trim material to cover the mounting block.

In the meantime ask around at your wholesaler who has a bender that would make a couple of bends for you. That’s what I did before I got a machine.
I doubt that a 2-3 inch offset is gonna add that much length and I’m sure u can pull some up from the utility transformer

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
We needed a Piece of 3" EMT bent back in the 70's but pipe shop only had ridged shoes for the bender. After we kinked a few pieces an old timer came by, said watch this. He capped one end filled the EMT with sand, tapped the sealed end on the floor, repeated a few time capped the other end and bend it with no kinks. Then smiled as he walked away.
Cap. The shoe is the same for emt and rmc you just put the pin in the other hole . Cap

1 - 12 of 12 Posts